Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Running on a Windows machine?

More
16 Apr 2016 09:50 - 16 Apr 2016 09:51 #5762 by thomas
Missing "make" and "cc" seems to indicate you have not followed this section to the letter:

From README.CYGWIN(my emphasis)

Download from: cygwin.com/setup.exe
Select open.
Install from Internet.
Choose a root directory, I use C:\
Select "just me" "Unix / binary"
Select a local package directory, I use C:\WINDOWS\Temp
Leave Direct Connection selected.
Choose a download site.
You can either click the "circular arrow" next to All to install the whole
thing (it lags a bit, wait for it) or leave default and add the necessary
packages yourself by expanding devel and adding: autoconf, gcc, make, and
patchutils (choose the first one of each).
The all option requires
broadband and at least an hour to download. It will automatically install
once complete, just follow the prompts.

You need to make sure the gcc package (and the other mentioned here) are installed when installing cygwin. Good news, though - just run cygwin setup again, and tick the correct boxes (make sure not to have a cygwin prompt open when you do).

Edit: the "Makefile" is the configuration file for the "make" program. So yes, those are inthere :)
Last edit: 16 Apr 2016 09:51 by thomas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sascha

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2016 15:56 #5763 by Sascha
Actually, I had a really incomplete download (despite clicking for all) from one of the sites. It should have tipped me off that the download only took an hour. I got a fresh download of everything from another site than the one I initially used, it took 6 hours to download, and now I have everything to the letter. Today I hope to have the time to reinstall and see where it takes me. :)

Thanks!

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

More
01 Oct 2017 22:10 - 24 Jul 2018 01:04 #6947 by Parnassus

Fade wrote: Personally I wouldn't bother with Cygwin. Instead download and install the Visual Studio Community Edition.
www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visu...io-community-vs.aspx
You can use the files in the attachment to get it running.

TBA Windows.zip
Put TbaMud.sln, TbaMud.vcxproj, TbaMud.vcxproj.filters, TbaMud.vcxproj.user in the root TbaMud folder.
Rename conf.h.win to conf.h and replace the conf.h file in <tba root folder>\src

(Edit: I'm just going to point out here that 9 months and 3 weeks after I started posting in this thread, I worked out how to get TBA running on Windows 8.1 using Visual Studio. If this is what you're trying to do, check out my new thread if you haven't seen it already:
tbamud.com/forum/2-general/4436-running-...-using-visual-studio )

My computer broke down so I'm trying to get running on another computer and thought I'd try this. However, my problem, as always, is that I don't know anything about this. I downloaded the VS and the zip (there seems to be 2 zips there but they have the same things in them?) and followed the instructions in README.MSVC8. The only problem I had was in step 3: Select "Win32 Console Application." but used Console Application.

As the README says, I put all the .h files into HEADER FILES and all the .c files into SOURCE FILES. When I tried to build it, I got 74 errors that look like this:

Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State
Error C1010 unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header. Did you forget to add '#include "stdafx.h"' to your source?

The main window looks like this:
Code:
// Circle.cpp : Defines the entry point for the console application. // #include "stdafx.h" int main() { return 0; }

In SOLUTION EXPLORER my .h files have stdafx.h and my .c files have stdafx.cpp although I can't see either of those in my physical files. Am I supposed to put that in all my .c files? It isn't in there.

Thanks for all the help given so far and any help you can give me now.
Last edit: 24 Jul 2018 01:04 by Parnassus. Reason: Added link to newer thread

More
03 Oct 2017 21:40 #6956 by Parnassus
I found some information here (if anyone is looking).

In the Visual Studio environment, use one of the following methods to resolve this error:
If you do not use precompiled headers in your project, set the Create/Use Precompiled Header property of source files to Not Using Precompiled Headers. To set this compiler option, follow these steps:
In the Solution Explorer pane of the project, right-click the project name, and then click Properties.
In the left pane, click the C/C++ folder.
Click the Precompiled Headers node.
In the right pane, click Create/Use Precompiled Header, and then click Not Using Precompiled Headers.

I'm now down to 2 errors and 18 warnings:
Code:
Severity Code Description Project File Line Suppression State Warning C4090 'function': different 'const' qualifiers Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\dg_triggers.c 406 Warning C4018 '>': signed/unsigned mismatch Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\dg_scripts.c 2424 Warning C4013 'close' undefined; assuming extern returning int Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\comm.c 420 Warning C4308 negative integral constant converted to unsigned type Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1786 Warning C4307 '*': integral constant overflow Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1786 Warning C4308 negative integral constant converted to unsigned type Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1789 Warning C4307 '*': integral constant overflow Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1789 Warning C4308 negative integral constant converted to unsigned type Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1824 Warning C4307 '*': integral constant overflow Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1824 Warning C4308 negative integral constant converted to unsigned type Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1827 Warning C4307 '*': integral constant overflow Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 1827 Warning C4308 negative integral constant converted to unsigned type Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 2025 Warning C4307 '*': integral constant overflow Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 2025 Warning C4308 negative integral constant converted to unsigned type Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 2027 Warning C4307 '*': integral constant overflow Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 2027 Warning C4013 '_chdir' undefined; assuming extern returning int Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 4000 Warning C4013 'execl' undefined; assuming extern returning int Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.wizard.c 4003 Warning C4013 'getpid' undefined; assuming extern returning int Circle f:\games\tbawindows\src\act.comm.c 167 Error LNK2005 _main already defined in comm.obj Circle F:\Games\TBAWindows\Circle\Circle\Circle.obj 1 Error LNK1169 one or more multiply defined symbols found Circle F:\Games\TBAWindows\Circle\Debug\Circle.exe 1

I think I'm getting closer :)

More
03 Oct 2017 21:58 #6958 by fade
Replied by fade on topic Running on a Windows machine?
Hi Parna,

If you log into tbamud I can probably help you. It's easier to chat about it in real time though :)
(feel free to delete this message once you've read it, I couldn't work out how to PM you)
- Fade

More
03 Oct 2017 22:10 - 14 Jul 2018 20:03 #6959 by Parnassus
I've now forced my way past the errors using information from here .
Code:
### To set this linker option in the Visual Studio development environment 1. Open the project's **Property Pages** dialog box. For details, see [Setting Visual C++ Project Properties](../Topic/Working%20with%20Project%20Properties.md). 2. Click the **Linker** folder. 3. Click the **Command Line** property page. 4. Type the option into the **Additional Options** box. *Edit: the option is "/force" without the brackets of course*

Me being me, I don't understand what all this means. I just know that I got lots of warnings and messages followed by:
1>Done building project "Circle.vcxproj".
========== Build: 1 succeeded, 0 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I put circle.exe into the root, as instructed and it actually works! I don't know if the warnings will affect anything later but for now, I've got a place to go wandering!
Last edit: 14 Jul 2018 20:03 by Parnassus. Reason: I forgot to mention the main point!

Time to create page: 0.218 seconds