Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Assigning trial vnums as player rooms

More
11 Dec 2013 01:13 #4572 by Parnassus
The two rooms have to be already created (ie, the command does not create the rooms). You do not want them to be rooms that are part of an existing zone since the house will prevent the main room from being entered. Also, I think it might do weird things to the zedits.

Because of this, I'm currently writing up a fast and trashy little subdivision zone. The rooms are all repetitive and not very interesting. Since an imm has to assign the house anyway, you might want to suggest that the player write up the room descs beforehand and redit the descs at the same time. However, its really just a jumping off point to create your housing projects. It has 38 houses but can be expanded with some basic editing.

You might want to change the descriptions from a subdivision to (for example) an apartment building or condo. I'm also putting in a trigger to take you to an intersection so that the subdivision doesn't really need to be attached. I don't know when it will be available but I expect to have it finished today.

Btw, where is the cost of housing kept?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2013 21:25 #4573 by Rumble
There is no cost hard coded. There is usually a charge to make sure they are not over used. Though that probably doesn't matter much anymore.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
03 Jan 2014 11:52 #4614 by Kyle
Remember the important thing about houses is to charge ridiculous amounts of gold for extras. When the players buy a healer for their house, make the healer cast 'cure light'. If he wants to upgrade to a more powerful spell, make the healer run out of mana, or make the room !MAGIC, and then charge him more money to remove the flag.

More
03 Jan 2014 19:11 - 05 Jan 2014 00:23 #4617 by RussBrown
Can multiple houses share the same atrium? Could you have a street or lobby room with 3-6 houses sharing it as their atriums?

edit: I tested this out tonight and the answer is that one room can serve as an atrium for multiple houses. Creating and destroying houses works fine, destroying one house leaves the atrium intact for the other houses.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 00:23 by RussBrown. Reason: spelling

More
05 Jan 2014 00:21 #4624 by Parnassus
Housing zones are really the most logical way to use houses. I've build a couple of housing zones that should be in the next release. The first one is an expandable set of streets and houses, each with its own atrium. The second is an apartment building built AFTER I noticed that when a house is deleted, the code checks for a shared atrium. The elevator trigger was built for the apartment but it can really go anywhere. The descriptions are dull and unimaginative but what would you expect from subdivisions? :)

More
05 Jan 2014 00:34 - 05 Jan 2014 00:37 #4625 by RussBrown
Yes I am working on a residential zone for my main city as well. It is half shanty town / half nicer houses.

The thing that I am really interested in regarding houses is to figure out how to allow players to buy houses from a "housing agent/realtor" mob using a spec_proc. Basically just need to have a way to pre-define rooms for houses/atriums and then have the mob perform the hcontrol command upon recieving money from the player. Once that is done you could add periodic payments pretty easily I think.

I have a semi-working spec_proc from way back that works okay, but the list of houses is defined in the code in an array similar to the old spec_proc for guild guards. This would need to be changed to be saved in a file preferably.

off-topic: The font in the post editor is like microscopic!
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 00:37 by RussBrown.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds