Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Green Lantern Mud

More
08 Nov 2012 02:12 - 08 Nov 2012 02:15 #1008 by wifidi
Replied by wifidi on topic Re: Green Lantern Mud
Dear Liko,
Unequipped shields are most likely covering the carryer's back, so if you've got backstabbing in GLUM, check inventory for a shield and add a backtabbing penalty. Non-superheros might have a problem being as effective in combat equipping a shield and carrying a shield on their back unless born with one on their back (race = turtle).
These ideas seem "piddly" yet enough of them might increase a MUDs proximity to what players are imagining, hopefully without taking anything even slightly too far. The last situation I'd want is admining a MUD thinking a player's questions or comments are constructive, when in reality the player is flaming the MUD and MUDs in general for tediousness or absence of "what really counts" that is thought to exist in graphical or non-electronic games.
Best wishes!
Last edit: 08 Nov 2012 02:15 by wifidi. Reason: typo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Nov 2012 06:12 #1010 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic Re: Green Lantern Mud

wifidi wrote: Dear Liko,
Unequipped shields are most likely covering the carryer's back, so if you've got backstabbing in GLUM, check inventory for a shield and add a backtabbing penalty. Non-superheros might have a problem being as effective in combat equipping a shield and carrying a shield on their back unless born with one on their back (race = turtle).
These ideas seem "piddly" yet enough of them might increase a MUDs proximity to what players are imagining, hopefully without taking anything even slightly too far. The last situation I'd want is admining a MUD thinking a player's questions or comments are constructive, when in reality the player is flaming the MUD and MUDs in general for tediousness or absence of "what really counts" that is thought to exist in graphical or non-electronic games.
Best wishes!

I agree with the shield part, but if the person is equipped with a shield then carrying shield from looting one or buying one. They would cause the attacker to take a back stab penalty. Now I could make it so that they only suffer the penalty, if they don't have a shield equipped.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
08 Nov 2012 16:03 #1011 by wifidi
From an old school view, anything that becomes a must is dangerous. Imagining a shield in inventory always defends the character's back would make players chat or grumble to always have a shield in inventory, which seems like something to prevent from being the case on an actual MUD. Another thought is wearing a shield on your back reduces visibility and therefore makes the character even more vulnerable to backstabbing, which means surprise tactical piercing.
To get back on track, if there's a penalty similar to using a two-handed weapon, that might be what wearing and equipping a shield needs assuming it is allowed to have a special meaning. I'd rather not comment on brawling other than it sure seems like two hands are needed. It's been a while since I've been in anything close to one and my memory is of flying hands.

More
08 Nov 2012 20:45 #1013 by Liko

wifidi wrote: From an old school view, anything that becomes a must is dangerous. Imagining a shield in inventory always defends the character's back would make players chat or grumble to always have a shield in inventory, which seems like something to prevent from being the case on an actual MUD. Another thought is wearing a shield on your back reduces visibility and therefore makes the character even more vulnerable to backstabbing, which means surprise tactical piercing.
To get back on track, if there's a penalty similar to using a two-handed weapon, that might be what wearing and equipping a shield needs assuming it is allowed to have a special meaning. I'd rather not comment on brawling other than it sure seems like two hands are needed. It's been a while since I've been in anything close to one and my memory is of flying hands.

Yeah, lets stay on topic, so brawling is a two handed weapon, check. Also, any two handed weapon shouldnt be able to use a shield? I'm leaning towards no. I just think with both hands taken up a shield would just be too much. I've already made it so they can't hold/grab anything.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
09 Nov 2012 02:55 #1014 by wifidi
Sounds right and is an ingenious way to represent brawling. Characters fighting while equipping a shield without wielding a weapon can think of it as brawling yet its technically only the default "hit" attack.

You'll get a lot of players trying to max their brawling damage instead of damroll equipment! Finally a way out of that be-all-end-all of combat-oriented MUDs.

More
03 Dec 2012 01:18 #1176 by Liko
Alright,

if you want updates for GLU please leave your e-mail and I will email with updates.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

Time to create page: 0.288 seconds