Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question How to hide the description of a room?

More
08 Aug 2012 12:45 - 08 Aug 2012 12:46 #582 by linkg
I'm trying to create a trigger for players, at the beginning of the game, know that to read a description of a room he should type "look".
However when players enters the game automatically appears the description of the room.
I'm doing something like this:
Code:
wait 1 sec if %actor.level% == 0 %send% %actor% You wake up in pain... wait 4 sec %send% %actor% There is only darkness! wait 4 sec %send% %actor% Your vision is coming back slowly... wait 5 sec %send% %actor% Type "look" to see what's around you. end

What should I add in this code to keep hidden the description only when the player is starting a new game?
Last edit: 08 Aug 2012 12:46 by linkg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2012 14:48 #584 by Liko

linkg wrote: I'm trying to create a trigger for players, at the beginning of the game, know that to read a description of a room he should type "look".
However when players enters the game automatically appears the description of the room.
I'm doing something like this:

Code:
wait 1 sec if %actor.level% == 0 %send% %actor% You wake up in pain... wait 4 sec %send% %actor% There is only darkness! wait 4 sec %send% %actor% Your vision is coming back slowly... wait 5 sec %send% %actor% Type "look" to see what's around you. end

What should I add in this code to keep hidden the description only when the player is starting a new game?

So are you wanting the trigger to stop the look command completely?

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
08 Aug 2012 15:06 - 08 Aug 2012 15:13 #585 by linkg
Yes. And only show the description when the player type "look" comand.
I want that when enters the game, for the first time, the player only receives messages:

You wake up in pain...

There is only darkness!

Your vision is coming back slowly...

Type "look" to see what's around you.

Than the player type look and will only get the room description if he type the comand.
If the player does not enter the command he will continue without seeing anything, he will be stopped.

> look
Midgaard Temple
You are in Midgaard temple.
Exits: (n s w e)

I'm doing this because I don't intend to do a tutorial explaining how to walk or to look around with step by step. I just wanted something simple and fast.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2012 15:13 by linkg.

More
08 Aug 2012 15:31 - 08 Aug 2012 15:33 #587 by Halenbane

linkg wrote: Yes. And only show the description when the player type "look" comand.
I want that when enters the game, for the first time, the player only receives messages:

You wake up in pain...

There is only darkness!

Your vision is coming back slowly...

Type "look" to see what's around you.

Than the player type look and will only get the room description if he type the comand.
If the player does not enter the command he will continue without seeing anything, he will be stopped.

> look
Midgaard Temple
You are in Midgaard temple.
Exits: (n s w e)

I'm doing this because I don't intend to do a tutorial explaining how to walk or to look around with step by step. I just wanted something simple and fast.

This may not be the route you were looking for, but it might be a quick fix for ya.

If you make the loadroom (where they start as a new player)
Make the room description the "You wake up in pain" etc etc
So as soon as they load into the game, even tho it forces them to look at the desc, all they will
see is your description of how they got there.

Then immediately teleport them to the "real" first room. When you do this,
it won't make them look upon their arrival unless you command the script to force
them to do so. Since you are teleporting them right away, they are none the wiser that
the description of the pain and darkness etc, is just a room description.

Also so it doesn't appear to be a room description when they first come into the game, make sure
their autoexits are defaulted to off. This way you don't see Exits: N, E, etc etc. Just the pain and darkness stuff.
I hope you understand what I mean, if not let me know and I'll try to explain better.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2012 15:33 by Halenbane.

More
08 Aug 2012 16:06 #591 by zusuk
there is a look_at_room somewhere, i think in interpreter.c that you can take out if you like

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port
luminariMUD.com:4100

More
08 Aug 2012 17:18 - 08 Aug 2012 17:19 #593 by linkg
Thanks guys, i did this:

In interpreter.c:

if (GET_LEVEL(d->character) == 0) {
do_start(d->character);
send_to_char(d->character, "%s", CONFIG_START_MESSG);
}
+ if (GET_LEVEL(d->character) >= 2) {
look_at_room(d->character, 0);
+ }
if (has_mail(GET_IDNUM(d->character)))

Now, when players reach the level 2, they will start to see the room description when they log in game.
Making beginners use the command "look" or "see" when enter in mud.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2012 17:19 by linkg.

Time to create page: 0.380 seconds