Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Like Many of You.....I'm Baaack!

More
17 May 2016 20:27 #5905 by IceBlade
Greetings,
For MANY MANY years I was an avid MUD player. This goes back before the internet and when mainframes ruled the world. (I believe that would be the Jurassic era) I worked on a MUD as a coder and IMM called Wintermute. Wonderful Diku/silly/circle codebase. Albeit a bit buggy. After that, I got back into playing on a MUD called Wormhole. More Science Fiction than straight Fantasy. Quite fun. I still visit every once in a while. Fo a while, I even hosted Wintermute on one of my T1 lines. That was then...this is now. I have converted all 27 of my servers at a remote location (not my main office) to a Blade based solution and have found I have LOTS of free space/bandwidth and CPU cycles to spare.

A few nights ago the topic of MUDs came up and I realized I could set one up again. So I did. Did a bit of research and found tbaMUD. I've got a development install running right now and am open for suggestions of modifications, improvements, experiments.

Many thanks to the tbaMUD crew. Keeping MUDs alive.

If anyone wants to code or needs some space, I have it.

It's good to be back,

Rich
IceBlade

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2016 21:14 #5908 by Rumble
Welcome back. I am glad you were able to find tbaMUD and get it up and running so easily. Check out our github link at the top right of the page and you can see a few submissions others have made and the downloads section for older patches and snippets. We can always use help clearing the bug and idea files on tbamud.com 9091 as well.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
29 May 2016 00:42 #5963 by IceBlade
All,
I am really liking this codebase! It's got enough familiar code in it, that I am comfortable, yet enough new stuff (improved!) that I am like a kid in a candy store. I feel slightly guilty running this on a Dual CPU Blade server (it's not REALLY business related ;) ) but what the hell!

I wish I had more time to play around with it. If anyone wants to experiment or customize, let me know. It's just the basic install with basic customizations at the moment. I am converting my old semi-dike/circle areas so I can add them all at once.

Still need to get a bunch of snippets in. Ranged combat, multiclass, additional races, etc etc. So much to do. Wish I was retired and had unlimited time!

Thanks to ALL the folks that work on tbaMUD!

Rick "IceBlade"

More
31 May 2016 13:47 #5966 by Sascha
It's funny, because I logged in this morning to make a post very similar to this one.

I am really liking this codebase! It's got enough familiar code in it, that I am comfortable, yet enough new stuff (improved!) that I am like a kid in a candy store.

After almost 20 years of MUD admin and building on another code base, when I found this one and got it installed about 6 weeks ago I fell in love. Immediate, giddy, kid in a candy store, love. It's familiar enough that I don't feel alien, and yes, this is a big improvement over the other stuff.

My intention was to build a zone in TBA to see how fast I could build it, test its user intuitiveness, etc. I was about ten rooms into it when I decided to scrap that field testing and make a commitment. Downloading and installing the code was a bit challenging because I am not a coder, so even the explanation terms were a bit over my head, but I stuck with it and got it done.

Then I dove into the actual code, realized I'm not as dense as I thought I was. I downloaded two basic C++ books off Amazon, read them in a week, returned to the code, and I get it enough to understand how it works.

Six weeks after install I have ten zones finished and I'm populating them, writing quests into them, and generally fine-tuning them. I've done it all with minimal reference to the documentation, just to see how intuitive it can be. It's amazing how easy it is to do the basic stuff from the standpoint of building.

So in a way, I'm back - back in love with building a MUD, at least. This is a keeper!

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

More
31 May 2016 14:57 - 31 May 2016 14:58 #5967 by JTP
Welcome back to the World of mudding..10 zones in 6 weeks, thats quite good. Wish i had a builder producing that amount, i cant even find one good builder :( good work.
Last edit: 31 May 2016 14:58 by JTP.

More
31 May 2016 17:01 #5968 by Sascha
Well, that's almost 20 years of experience with a similar (but lesser) mud base, and an intimate knowledge of my subject matter for my theme and world. If this was brand new, out the gate, no real experience with MUDs it would be entirely different! :)

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

Time to create page: 0.221 seconds