Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question New Installation Problems

More
07 Feb 2013 01:18 #1467 by Maximus
I like what zusuk and the Luminari team are doing with Gickers d20 + tbaMUD. My tabletop RPG is going to be written as a third party suppliment for Pathfinder, so d20 system is always something I am interested in. As far as Dawn of Time goes, I have done a lot of experimenting with it over the last month or so, and I have mixed feelings about it. It has some very nice features that I like, esspecialy their system of encouraging role playing with Nobles and such. On the other hand, it hasn't been updated in almost three years, and the DoT forums are pretty much a ghost town at this point. For example, on the "Getting Started" forum, there has only been about four threads posted since the end of December, and two of them are from me. It usually takes about a week to get any kind of reply on their forum. I still have managed to do a lot with DoT, but unlike tbaMUD, you are pretty much on your own. tbaMUD has the advantage of having one of the most active communities out of all those codebases, being the most up to date, and having the best documentation IMHO.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2013 07:43 #1468 by zusuk
Replied by zusuk on topic Re: New Installation Problems
Well we are always recruiting if you ever want to join us :)

Also in case you didn't see the post, we are opening our codebase to the public around March in an early beta release of the code. Our modifications are insanely huge considering we have only been in development for around half a year.

As far as codebase decisions, I can share my experience.
1) Despite being a Java-coder by trade, I was turned off by CoffeeMUD's resource needs and the daunting task of trying to modify such a thick system that is already in place.
2) I never liked any of the other DIKU derivitives, Smaug, ROM ... you name it, only because I had really become a fan of the great usage of macro's and modularization they did on Circle. To this day (I only did limited checking though) I have not found an OLC I love more than Oasis.
3) The C language in my country is a lot more valuable language to be proficient in than Java :p
4) I also tried using a couple of more raw MUD engines, and it was too daunting on the side of aboslutely no features, and I would have to code everything

With that being said, whatever decision you make, no one will hold it against you, we will miss you from the community is all :p

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port
luminariMUD.com:4100

More
07 Feb 2013 20:40 #1470 by Nerian
Even if you do go with a different code base, it doesn't mean you can't say hi, offer advice, things like that. I believe we are a community of friends as well as being interested in the same codebase.

More
07 Feb 2013 20:54 #1471 by Maximus
I will definitely still be around. I am swamped with work for the rest of the week, and throughout the weekend, but next week I plan on posting a thread about the area I am working on in the builders academy to run some ideas past those of you who frequent this board. I've been coming up with some cool ideas this week, and I hope with all of your help, I can figure out how to make them work!

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds