Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question New Installation Problems

More
06 Feb 2013 02:50 #1459 by Maximus
Hey, I've been away from tbaMUD for a week or two while I have been working on other projects, but now I am back, and I am trying to run tbaMUD on a new VPS host I am trying out. Unfortunately, I am getting an error when I try to configure it that I never got when I tried to run it on my current host. Here are the steps I have followed so far

1. Downloaded the current tbaMUD release via SSH using wget www.tbamud.com/downloads/finish/3-tbamud-releases/6-tbamud-3-63

2. Unpacked the files

3. Changed to my tbaMUD directory and typed ./configure, and this was the result:
Code:
creating cache ./config.cache checking for less... less checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH [root@3348-3637-4240 tbamud-3.63]# sh ./configure loading cache ./config.cache checking for less... less checking for gcc... no checking for cc... no configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH [root@3348-3637-4240 tbamud-3.63]# configure: error: no acceptable cc found in $PATH -bash: configure:: command not found

What did I do wrong?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Feb 2013 02:54 #1460 by Maximus
Okay, I think I found part of the problem. Googled the error. I am going to try "yum install gcc" and see where that gets me. Wish me luck!

More
06 Feb 2013 03:03 #1461 by Maximus
Huzzah! It works. It seems that my VPS was that bare bones that it didn't even come with a C compiler. If anyone else ever runs into this kind of error, try the above solution. This works on CentoOS 5.0 x86.
The following user(s) said Thank You: zusuk

More
06 Feb 2013 11:25 #1463 by zusuk
Replied by zusuk on topic Re: New Installation Problems
Hey I saw you mention something about moving to a different codebase? Which one did you settle on and why?

Hope all is well Maximus! :)

Website
www.luminariMUD.com

Main Game Port
luminariMUD.com:4100

More
07 Feb 2013 00:36 - 07 Feb 2013 00:37 #1465 by Maximus
I started replying to the last post on this thread and it turned into a novel, so I put it up on my blog. Let me just say right here though that tbaMUD is awesome, and my decision to switch was in no way a reflection of the quality of this codebase. If you are interest in reading what turned out to be a rather lengthy and self indulgent rant you can follow the link below.

The End of GOBLINS!
Last edit: 07 Feb 2013 00:37 by Maximus.

More
07 Feb 2013 00:59 #1466 by Nerian
I'm sorry to read about the end of your mud Maximus. I always hate to hear of a mud failing.

I am actually trying to learn how to code myself, I'm looking at TBA, Gicker's D20, and also Dawn of Time, which I believe you mentioned.

So I understand what your going through, if it's a passion, then you just must persevere.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds