Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question DragonBall: Tournament

More
11 Feb 2018 23:07 #7589 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic DragonBall: Tournament
How interesting :)

No matter the circumstances, welcome back, Liko. You have been missed.

Just one thing - did you copy any code from TBA? I mean, this is kind of a big deal in the mud community. Actually, the rules for creating a derivative work are quite strict. If you, at any point, had the tbamud code and your new code available on the same PC and they can read the same file formats, they may be considered a derivative work. Wikipedia has more on the practice en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_room_design while there's a lot (seriously, spades) of noise about it on the old circlemud mailing list.

@Fizban - whether the license applies here depends on the answer to the above question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2018 23:15 #7590 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic DragonBall: Tournament
The code is completely custom. It’s written in C#. It was written from ground up.

Nothing from Tbamud or any other souce.

Now one time I did try to make it thru tbamud(I believe this was when you were helping me with converting tbamud to support over 2.1b numbers and larger rooms). When I realized the work I was gonna have to do, I scrapped everything, deleted the tbamud I was using, published the world generator that I developed it, and started completely over from scratch.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
11 Feb 2018 23:20 #7591 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic DragonBall: Tournament
I, for one, am willing to take your word for this.

Will you be distributing your code at some point? Mostly because I'm curious; I am able to read C# but have only a single course experience in writing it. I'd be curious to see how much work it is to actually write a mud in it. In Java (which I code professionally, the game loop would be some tens of lines and then inheritance come into play on the commands...)

More
11 Feb 2018 23:30 #7592 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic DragonBall: Tournament
At some point I may. I am still working on the code. I like using c# for its networking abilities. I use a database for character saving, object saving, and just other variables. I have thought about using the database for items and npcs as well. Currently they are just hard coded in the code and read in a table.

I’ve been reading c again cause I do want to program a turn based combat system for tbamud. That is on my list at some point lol.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds