Welcome to the Builder Academy

Loved New OLC Craft System

More
22 Jun 2012 19:56 #201 by Halenbane
Replied by Halenbane on topic Re: New OLC Craft System
Another idea:

Make it so players can 'learn blueprint' to commit it to memory, which then destroys the blueprint.

It would be added to the players list shown when they type craft , along with the recipes that don't require blueprints.

If this was done, they would need a way to see what ingredients were required. (If you had it added the ingredients to the e-desc in the blueprint as I stated earlier, this wouldn't help because of the blueprint being destroyed)

Also setting it up this way, 1 person can't get a rare blueprint spawn, and then just hand it to everyone else to use.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jun 2012 02:13 #203 by Vatiken
Replied by Vatiken on topic Re: New OLC Craft System

For Craft Skill , When a player succeeds does it increase a craft skill. I'm not seeing it, but I do see that you can set the value.

Edit:

I'm seeing now that it does show craft in prac , gonna craft a bunch and see if it increases.

It does not increase the craft skill or whichever skill/spell you decide to use, changing it to do so would be a simple change if that's what your MUD desires.

As far as your question, "are you using the craft skill"

Um, Im typing craft as always, not sure what else I would be typing... or maybe I am misunderstanding your question.

If I have an item that has 0 skill req, and I am superb, i shouldn't fail 4/5.

The crafting system is not associated with the "CRAFT" skill. The skill itself is just a simple filler. The idea behind the design was to allow for multiple craft-like skills (Metallurgy, Woodwork, Sewing...), You can choose SKILL_CRAFT as the skill level used in creating the craft, or you can use SPELL_MAGIC_MISSILE, it's completely up to user preference.

Since you bothered even putting a skill req in crafting, seems maybe it would make more sense to make it take more than 2 or 3 practices to max craft. Otherwise you have a person able to make some elite craft, just as easily as a noobie craft. Then again, if the failure rate is still high at superb, I don't know that it will matter much.

This is a generic crafting system designed to be easily expanded upon, I purposely left the skill success system rather bland so that a MUD dev could easily change it to their MUD's preference. If your MUD uses the stock practice system, you can always alter the code to work the way you want.
" 3) Feel free to use this in anyway you see fit."

It would be pretty cool if you had it so when a person tagged an item as blueprint, if it is assigned to ingredient objects, it then auto-generates a default e-desc with the obj keywords.

This would be up to your personal preference, as a craft detail blurb can already be ascertained thru "look <blueprint>", This however got passed over when I was extracting the code from my MUD.
Code:
Index: act.informative.c =================================================================== --- act.informative.c (revision 318) +++ act.informative.c (working copy) @@ -131,7 +131,9 @@ case ITEM_DRINKCON: send_to_char(ch, "It looks like a drink container."); break; - + case ITEM_BLUEPRINT: + show_craft(ch, get_craft_from_id(GET_OBJ_VAL(obj, 0))); + break; default: send_to_char(ch, "You see nothing special.."); break;

**The above is from this craft**

1) Craft Name : Sword steel
2) Craft Timer : 2 seconds
3) Craft Item : "a strong steel sword"
4) Craft Self Msg : "You carefully place a steel hilt and blade together making $p."
5) Craft Room Msg : "$n carefully places a steel hilt and blade together making $p."
S) Craft Skill : No Skill (0)
F) Flags : Needs Recipe
R) Requirements :
[4914] 1 , "a steel hilt" [NOBITS ]
[4915] 1 , "a steel blade" [NOBITS ]
X) Delete
Q) Quit

The above skill doesn't have a craft skill selected, this needs to be selected first for it to work as intended.

Make it so players can 'learn blueprint' to commit it to memory, which then destroys the blueprint.

It would be added to the players list shown when they type craft , along with the recipes that don't require blueprints.

If this was done, they would need a way to see what ingredients were required. (If you had it added the ingredients to the e-desc in the blueprint as I stated earlier, this wouldn't help because of the blueprint being destroyed)

If this is something you'd like it wouldn't be overly difficult to expand the crafts code to allow for it. You'd need to alter list_available_crafts() to show learned blueprints, and then you'd just need some means of saving/loading the data to the actual character.

tbaMUD developer/programmer

More
23 Jun 2012 03:09 #204 by Halenbane
Thanks Vat,

Helpful as always.

More
23 Jun 2012 04:00 #205 by Halenbane
After messing with this some and seeing how it can be expanded upon, I have to say you've done a great job for the alpha. I will be incorporating some new features with the different craft types and will be glad to share that here.
I was just curious tho, if you set the craft skill to armor for example, or magic missile as you mentioned, you are still able to type craft object and make the end item. I know you can't very well type 'armor sword' and make a sword crafting. :P

More
23 Jun 2012 05:38 - 23 Jun 2012 07:05 #206 by Halenbane
Idea for next release:

Add the ability to also customize the fail messages for each craft.

Just as it is for success messages.

**EDIT - See Snippet Below**
Last edit: 23 Jun 2012 07:05 by Halenbane.

More
23 Jun 2012 06:20 #207 by Vatiken
Replied by Vatiken on topic Re: New OLC Craft System

I was just curious tho, if you set the craft skill to armor for example, or magic missile as you mentioned, you are still able to type craft object and make the end item. I know you can't very well type 'armor sword' and make a sword crafting. :P

No, the craft command is completely separate from the craft skill or any skill for that matter. I figured, with the inclusion of the success messages, it was better and simpler, to just confine the handling to one command. You can easily incorporate a brew/forge/construct skill and use the message to state that the player 'forged a sword', instead of using multiple crafting commands.

Idea for next release:

Add the ability to also customize the fail messages for each craft.

Just as it is for success messages.

That would be easy enough.

tbaMUD developer/programmer

Time to create page: 0.231 seconds