Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Windws 8

More
06 Jul 2013 03:02 #3332 by Fizban
Windws 8 was created by Fizban
Anyone used Windows 8 much and had a positive experience with it?

Not used it much other than a very, very, early pre-beta build of it, but I just ordered a new laptop that will come with Windows 8 on it. Unsure if I'm likely better off just wiping it and reverting to Windows 7 day 1, or at least giving Windows 8 a chance to win me over before doing so.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Jul 2013 15:08 #3338 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Windws 8
Win 8 is ok, I guess. It's mostly the loss of the start menu (and having to remember the names of the control panel pages I'm using the most) I'm unhappy with. Boath easily solved using a small 3rd-party program to give me a "well known" start menu.

More
07 Jul 2013 17:36 #3353 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Windws 8
Same here, I use powershell app to put the start button with search back. They are dumbing Windows down down for the average user and prepping for touch screens. A bad move in my opinion. I will probably reinstall Windows 7 soon.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
15 Jul 2013 14:27 #3442 by Nerian
Replied by Nerian on topic Windws 8
I use an app called pokki for my start menu and I like it. I also set up on my computer to skip metro and go straight to the desktop although I dont remember how I did that.

More
25 Jul 2013 14:14 #3568 by krell
Replied by krell on topic Windws 8
Widders 8.1 is supposed to have a start menu button. If that's important to you and you have Win8 then download the service pack and install it. Having to work on other people's computers all of the time I've had a fair amount of exposure to Win8* and I agree, for a desk/laptop to boot directly into Metro is a bit of a brain dead move on MS's part, however they did take out the start menu so I guess they had to have some way people to access all the programs installed on their PC. Great idea for a handheld mobile device otherwise.

I'm unable to recall offhand how we disable Metro from showing on boot/login at work. I did google an answer that might be helpful.

www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-of...ight-to-the-desktop/

Time to create page: 0.196 seconds