Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question An old snippet (updated)

More
08 Feb 2020 17:11 - 08 Feb 2020 17:14 #8547 by Castillo
Replied by Castillo on topic An old snippet (updated)
Actually, you can add all the zones you are already using in your mud in the snippet code, and it will use all unused vnum objects numbers.

The idea to use exclusive zones (177, 178, etc). Is to make it easier to spot objects created by armorer, and blacksmith.

I wonder if there is a way to modify this code to create the objects into a folder created for players such as playerfiles, playervariables, etc as to eliminate the need for additional shell zones to be added just for objects. To clarify: Rather than using vnums in shell zones, can the code be modified where is creates lines of text in a new file in the mud/lib/ folder. Maybe a global file in there so there are no issues if the item is picked up by another player.

The problem with this idea is that the the TBA mud code handle objects by "object VNUM", that would require to modify mostly the entire server code which would be a lot more complicated.

Bob
Last edit: 08 Feb 2020 17:14 by Castillo.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Feb 2020 19:10 #8548 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic An old snippet (updated)
One option, which I've seen earlier, is to use a "template object", typically in zone 0 combined with a UNIQUE flag. Then, when saving, all properties that are different from the template object (which would be all of them, more or less) would save as separate lines in the plrobjs file.

I seem to recall this pattern being used in Cruel World MUD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds