Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Creating alternate room descriptions

More
23 Aug 2012 15:39 #735 by crater
Haven't done much for a few years and was just getting back into it. Trying to add an alternate description to rooms. This wont be editable in oasis, as its basically event driven. Big fight or whatever could affect the room.

I've added it in structs.h(under room data, essentially just copying *description) , db.c and setup look_at_room to look for a room flag of altered if the altdescription isn't = null.

That all works, and the command i built to test it out does set the flag and it modifies the altdescription value... until a copyover or reboot. upon loading the game crashes, due to the world file not matching. I wiped out everything but 0.wld and manually modified the void to have the proper amount of info. Game starts. I test the command, copyover and boom crashes again.

So where did I miss adding the altdescription room data to to make sure it is saving to the wld file properly?

Thanks in advance!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2012 15:56 #736 by Vatiken
I believe it is genwld.c that is responsible for loading room data. If you are crashing FOLLOWING a copyover, then it is due to improper loading.

tbaMUD developer/programmer

More
23 Aug 2012 16:24 #737 by crater
That was it! genwld has references for the saving of the descriptions, db.c was where they were loaded.

Thanks! working great now.

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds