Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question tbaMud in Windows with VS 2017

More
11 Sep 2017 14:48 #6875 by groundzero2010
Working on getting TbaMud working with Visual Studio 2017. Here is what I have done so far in getting it to compile and run. Having issues during runtime but haven't been able to pin point the issue, but it compiles and works. That's a start!

Here are the few things I've had to do to get compile in VS 2017

I'm using tbaMud 3.66 and 3.66 Changes for Windows and compiling using Visual Studio 2017 Community Edition (free)

Initially ran into some issues in which I had to change a few settings in the project 'Configuration Properties' (right click TbaMud > properties)

Changed project Configuration Properties > General > Windows SDK Version = 10.0 (you may be asked to upgrade project when initially opening the TbaMud solution file)

Project Configuration Properties > VC++ Directories > Executable Directories > Add directory C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 14.0\VC\bin if its not shown. This will change depending on your version of Visual Studio version

Initial syntax error in option debug:fastlink
Changed project Configuration Properties > Linker > Debugging > Generate Debug Info = 'No'

Changed project Configuration Properties > C/C++ > General > SDL checks = 'No'

Build Solution

6 warnings:
ignoring unknown option '/diagnostics:classic'
'<=' : signed/unsigned mismatch
'function' : different 'const' qualifiers
'close' undefined; assuming extern returning int
'_chdir' undefined; assuming extern returning int
'execl' undefined; assuming extern returning int

Cut TbaMud.exe from Debug and past in root project directory

Run TbaMud.exe from root

Connect with Telnet or other mud client 127.0.0.1 port 4000

Please feel free to let me know if I'm missing anything else or changed something I shouldn't have. I'll continue checking into the issues while TbaMud is running.

Playing in the MUD since 1993

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Sep 2017 16:51 #6877 by groundzero2010
With the same instructions above, I have compiled the latest TbaMud 3.68 using the Changes for Windows 3.66 Visual Studio files and compiled and is running.

I'm having issues with stock TbaMud crashing after a player connects. Sometimes the player can be connected for a few minutes before a crash other times its a few seconds. I'm not getting any logs created in the log folder so not real sure what errors are being caught. Anyone have any ideas?

More
13 Sep 2017 20:50 #6881 by thomas
I've tried to have a look.

The crash seem to be stemming from a memory corruption - a free() without nulling out, perhaps. It's strange that this should only occur on windows. I'll see if I can have a close look at it tomorrow.

Apart from that, nice write-up of how you did it. certainly helped me :)

More
14 Sep 2017 11:37 #6883 by groundzero2010
Thanks Welcor! I appreciate you checking it out.

Time to create page: 0.171 seconds