Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Equipment vanashing.

More
13 Sep 2016 22:34 #6164 by Errigour
I am using tbamud 3.67 and for some reason after someone tried to log in or did something at log in time the mud segmentation faulted and all the equipment on my character was missing when I rebooted. Any idea what caused that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2016 22:41 #6165 by Errigour
Replied by Errigour on topic Equipment vanashing.
Here's some error messages I have received:
Code:
May 28 20:46:16 201 :: SYSERR: Missed 10797 seconds worth of pulses. SYSERR: gethostbyaddr: Operation not permitted SYSERR: gethostbyaddr: Operation not permitted May 29 17:00:14 201 :: SYSERR: Missed 7195 seconds worth of pulses. May 29 18:00:22 201 :: SYSERR: Missed 3597 seconds worth of pulses. SYSERR: gethostbyaddr: Operation not permitted SYSERR: gethostbyaddr: Operation not permitted

More
14 Sep 2016 20:28 #6166 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Equipment vanashing.
first off, I urge you read all the documents in the doc folder, specifically this: github.com/tbamud/tbamud/blob/master/doc/debugging.txt

Second, about these specific errors:
Something probably went wrong when saving your stuff. In lib/plrobjs/ you may find a backup, but I wouldn't get my hopes up. I suggest that you keep a regular backup of the folders under lib/plrobjs and lib/plrfiles .
I have no idea what went wrong, because there's no context - try looking at the core file and see if it helps you.

"SYSERR: missed x worth of pulses" can occur if you have some code that takes too long to process. Or if noone is around, and the mud sleeps while waiting for new people to connect. I wouldn't worry too much about this, if you have a quiet server that generally responds fast enough to your commands.

The other error (gethostbyaddr) occurs when the system tries to lookup the hostname of the people connecting. This code is getting quite old, but there's a toggle in the config to not try to lookup names - called nameserver_is_slow (it can also be toggled from within the server).

Note to anyone interested in fixing this problem for good: this ( github.com/tbamud/tbamud/blob/master/src/comm.c#L1509 ) should be migrated to use getnameinfo() instead, now. gethostbyaddr() is SO last century ;) See stackoverflow.com/questions/28566424/lin...orking-gethostbyaddr

Time to create page: 0.472 seconds