Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Hosting Process

More
04 Apr 2014 20:57 #4796 by damiend97
Hosting Process was created by damiend97
Hey there guys, I am curious on what the problem is with my process of hosting a TBA MUD src on my host. So I'll explain my process and the results of each step...

1. Changing ports...
Code:
PROCESS Went into autorun file and changed 'PORT=4000' to 'PORT=8425' (8425) is my allocated port. Went into autorun.cmd to do the same. Went into autorun.sh to do the same.
Code:
RESULTS Every thing is well at the moment, of course, no errors have popped up.

2. Configuring...
Code:
PROCESS Went into the root directory of the MUD files, and preformed './configure'.
Code:
RESULTS Following error was displayed "-bash ./configure: Permission denied"
Code:
PROCESS Seeing that I need 'permissions' I used the sudo command like so : 'sudo ./configure'. I entered the password when prompted.
Code:
RESULTS Following error was displayed "jvargas is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.". Jvargas, being my username.

Since I wasn't sure what to do from there, I went into the src files and just continued the process...

3. Compiling...
Code:
PROCESS I went into the src directory and typed 'make clean' into my prompt.
Code:
RESULTS "rm -f *.o depend" was displayed as an error - or at least I think it was an error.

Seeing that make clean didn't do much I tried otherwise...
Code:
PROCESS The next attempt was me typing 'make' into the prompt in the src directory.
Code:
RESULTS It seemed to work! The gcc compiler did the job, or at least, so I thought...

4. Starting up...
Code:
PROCESS I went back a directory and entered in './autorun &'.
Code:
RESULTS "[1] 3778" was displayd, as if the process started, but then the next line read "-bash: ./autorun: Permission denied" : and so, I thought once again, since seeing this already with the ./configure command, that maybe I need to use the sudo command. Also, note that the shell at this time was waiting for user input. I hit enter and '[1]+ Exit 126 ./autorun' was displayed.
Code:
PROCESS I used 'sudo ./autorun &' in the command prompt to try and boot up the MUD.
Code:
RESULTS '[1] 4040 was displayed. Once again, it was waiting for user input. If I entered anything, '[1]+ Stopped sudo ./autorun' was displayed.

I know at this point its obvious something is wrong, but I tried to connect just to give it a shot, and as expected, it wouldn't connect. I am really confused on what is happening. Hosting is given to me through frostmud.com - a free hosting service. I would greatly appreciate anyone who can help me with setting up my MUD. Thank you in advance,

Damien
durandamien1997@gmail.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2014 22:03 #4797 by rudeboyrave
Replied by rudeboyrave on topic Hosting Process
try to go into your tbamud dir and do a gdb bin/circle

then type run 8425

in another window try to connect to the mud. any luck?

CyberASSAULT
www.cyberassault.org
cyberassault.org 11111
A post-apocalyptic, sci-fi MUD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: damiend97

More
04 Apr 2014 22:22 #4798 by damiend97
Replied by damiend97 on topic Hosting Process
Hey, it worked! Thanks a ton.

More
04 Apr 2014 23:59 #4799 by rudeboyrave
Replied by rudeboyrave on topic Hosting Process
the issue was bad permissions on the autofun file.
chmod 755 autorun did the trick
then a

./autorun &
exit

CyberASSAULT
www.cyberassault.org
cyberassault.org 11111
A post-apocalyptic, sci-fi MUD.

Time to create page: 0.190 seconds