Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question tbaMUD with no Classes

More
05 Jan 2014 01:07 - 05 Jan 2014 01:10 #4629 by RussBrown
So I spent a few hours last night removing the concept of character classes completely from the stock tbaMud-3.64 code. So far everything seems to be working fine - no crashes so far. *knock on wood*

Right now each character has access to all skills/spells of the previous four classes at the previous levels. This essentially makes them a gestalt (if you are familiar with the term from 3.5 D&D) of all four classes. This is only temporary until I can implement a new skill/traits/powers system to replace the classes.

So I was wondering if anyone had done this previously and could point out any gotchas to watch out for?

Also on the design side I know there are a lot of classless muds out there, but are many of them based on the Diku/Circle/tba codebase?
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 01:10 by RussBrown.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2014 05:48 - 05 Jan 2014 05:48 #4630 by Kyle
Replied by Kyle on topic tbaMUD with no Classes
In the past I just removed the variable chclass from struct char_data and then fixed the errors one by one until the MUD compiled again.

No issues stand out in my memory. I think anything that causes problems should pop up immediately.

This was from tbaMUD 3.51 but it shouldn't make much difference.
Last edit: 05 Jan 2014 05:48 by Kyle.

More
05 Jan 2014 06:12 #4631 by RussBrown
Replied by RussBrown on topic tbaMUD with no Classes
Yeah. That is pretty much what I did. removed chclass and all instances of GET_CLASS and CLASS_x and IS_x (for classes) and then fixed any compiler errors. So far so good. :)

More
02 Mar 2014 06:50 #4725 by Papaya Pete
Replied by Papaya Pete on topic tbaMUD with no Classes
How's the classless system working out for you? Found any errors or difficulties at this point?

More
26 Mar 2014 21:59 #4780 by RussBrown
Replied by RussBrown on topic tbaMUD with no Classes
I have gotten really busy and work and have not had much time to work on things since early February. However I am just finishing up a complete overhaul of the character/mob structures since my plans require adding a significant number of new variables and data structures. Once that is finished I can start building the skill/perk prerequisite system that will replace classes.

Time to create page: 0.397 seconds