Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question rlist and huge zones

More
02 Sep 2013 11:34 #4240 by Ornir
rlist and huge zones was created by Ornir
Greetings all -

I am developing a procedurally generated wilderness (fBm using perlin noise :)) for LuminariMUD and have run into an issue with rlist for really big zones.

I have created a zone with 10000 vnums allocated. I am not using all of these vnums right now, of course, but I want to have some expansion room if needed.

The zone is divided into 2 parts:

vnums 1000000 - 1003999 are allocated for custom rooms that replace the generated content at individual coordinates. There are probably 3 rooms actually created in this range.

vnums 1004000 - 1005999 are allocated for a pool of dynamic rooms that are used as the players (and mobs!) walk through the wilderness. If something is in the room, the room is flagged as occupied and not recycled. every 10 seconds or so an event fires that checks the room to see if it is still occupied, if not the occupied flag is cleared and the room is recycled. These rooms are BUILT.

So I have a total of about 2002 rooms in this zone.

If I type rlist in the zone, it crashes, and gdb does not give me any valuable information, basically telling me there was a segfault at the closing brace of list_rooms in oasis_list.c.

It seems like the len/buf size checking is failing in that function and it is accessing memory that is unallocated or otherwise corrupt.

Does anyone have any idea/tips/soutions? I know this is pretty much an 'edge case' but i'd like to be able to use my admin commands in this zone.

Thanks -

Ripley/Ornir

Head Coder, LuminariMUD

Luminari - a Pathfinder/D&D inspired adventure!
www.luminarimud.com
luminarimud.com 4100

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2013 22:18 #4249 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic rlist and huge zones
Sounds like this might be related to one of our current issues. We found it on TBA by typing "olist sword."

No solution yet, but Fade thinks it might be a memory (heap) corruption, caused by something elsewhere in the code.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
04 Sep 2013 08:01 #4265 by Ornir
Replied by Ornir on topic rlist and huge zones
Oooh, mystery bugs, fun! :)

Thanks for the reply Rumble.

Luminari - a Pathfinder/D&D inspired adventure!
www.luminarimud.com
luminarimud.com 4100

More
16 Sep 2013 02:38 #4319 by Vatiken
Replied by Vatiken on topic rlist and huge zones
Couldn't duplicate 'olist sword' crash bug on tbamud.com or on my stock copy.... Am I missing something?

tbaMUD developer/programmer

More
16 Sep 2013 20:55 #4323 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic rlist and huge zones
I thought it had somehow been disabled on tbamud. Since I'd crashed the mud anyway, I tried typing olist sword and got no response (no list). I'd heard that it didn't crash in stock. This whole thing seemed very strange to me because I'm sure I've typed olist sword while looking for colour bleeds and so on. However, I did switch a lot of my searches to stock because many of the trial vnums bleed and they were confusing my lists so I may have olisted sword after I switched to stock.

More
16 Sep 2013 22:52 #4325 by JTP
Replied by JTP on topic rlist and huge zones
Olist sword works on my mud, i get 7 pages of different swords.

Time to create page: 0.407 seconds