Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question NPC flags - request for new Questmaster flag

More
07 Feb 2018 20:52 #7555 by Sascha
This is a two-layer help request: Help me learn this, and help me with doing it.

One of my beta testers uses a screen reader. I've been writing quests and I'm thinking it would be nice to have an NPC flag that shows [QUESTMASTER] on the output, like:

[799] [TRIGS] A retired hero is waiting for a brave adventurer to step forth. [QUESTMASTER]

How I envision the overall process is:

1) When making a quest using qedit, and you set the NPC as the quest master, it automatically adds the flag to the mob.
2) The flag displays to everyone, so upon entering a room you see that the NPC has a quest attached to it.

That way, players know they should type 'quest list' because a quest may be available for them to complete.

I have a feeling this is a bit complicated, and I'm hesitant to just dive in and start messing with code because we all know my baby-level of coding skills. Can someone do this, and maybe write a short guide like "How to add NPC flags for Dummies" overall? And maybe walk me through it, since I learn best by doing?

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2018 21:18 - 07 Feb 2018 21:19 #7558 by JTP
Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 21:19 by JTP.

More
07 Feb 2018 23:10 - 07 Feb 2018 23:13 #7559 by Fizban
To make it show at the end of the line like you described, change this:
Code:
if (AFF_FLAGGED(ch, AFF_DETECT_ALIGN)) { if (IS_EVIL(i)) send_to_char(ch, "(Red Aura) "); else if (IS_GOOD(i)) send_to_char(ch, "(Blue Aura) "); } - send_to_char(ch, "%s", i->player.long_descr); + send_to_char(ch, "%s%s", i->player.long_descr, IS_NPC(i) && GET_MOB_SPEC(i) == questmaster ? "[Questmaster]" : ""); if (AFF_FLAGGED(i, AFF_SANCTUARY)) act("...$e glows with a bright light!", FALSE, i, 0, ch, TO_VICT); if (AFF_FLAGGED(i, AFF_BLIND) && GET_LEVEL(i) < LVL_IMMORT) act("...$e is groping around blindly!", FALSE, i, 0, ch, TO_VICT); return; }

Alternatively rather than changing the send_to_char in question, adding this below it should work as well.
Code:
if (IS_NPC(i) && GET_MOB_SPEC(i) == questmaster) send_to_char(ch, "[Questmaster]");
Last edit: 07 Feb 2018 23:13 by Fizban.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sascha

More
08 Feb 2018 15:10 #7564 by Fizban
Looks like there's a \r\n built into the i->player.long_descr actually, so adding text to the end of the string isn't as trivial as I'd hoped.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds