Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Bug 95: Trigger 1136 room 1114 - Resolved?

More
28 Jul 2015 01:44 #5465 by krell
I'm not easily able to use my phone's mud app to use olc to report this, but I think I have a solution to bug 95 and will report it here.

Inserting a 1 second wait before the loop and after setting the variable used in the condition, seems to prevent that pesky Puff from appearing where she's not wanted. Something thomas said about the wait being necessary on enter type room triggers because the script runs before the player enters the room made me think.

I suspect not having the wait resulted in the variable being set to some random number, or not so random number as it was always Puff you saw, resulting in undefined behavior?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2015 21:51 #5471 by Parnassus
This was interesting because I've seen other triggers with no wait but I haven't seem this before.

> east
Being the cool immortal you are, you sidestep a trap, obviously placed to kill you.
A dart whizzes through the air and pierces your skin!
[ 1114] Sphalerite Stair [ INDOORS ] [ Inside ][T 1136]
Made from a dark, glassy mineral, this elegant stair curves eastward, meeting
a sister stair in the middle and ascending upward like a towering guardian
shadow, its smooth surface covered with an intricate webwork of frost, giving it
the appearance of white-veined marble.
[ Exits: e w u ]
[1] [T95] Puff the Fractal Dragon is here, contemplating a higher reality.

You can see that the dart is attacking before you enter the room. It seems to me that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you consider that the dart guards the room.

After a 1s wait, it now looks like this:
> east
[ 1114] Sphalerite Stair [ INDOORS ] [ Inside ][T 1136]
Made from a dark, glassy mineral, this elegant stair curves eastward, meeting
a sister stair in the middle and ascending upward like a towering guardian
shadow, its smooth surface covered with an intricate webwork of frost, giving it
the appearance of white-veined marble.
[ Exits: e w u ]

>
Being the cool immortal you are, you sidestep a trap, obviously placed to kill you.
A dart whizzes through the air and pierces your skin!

As you noticed, Puff has disappeared! This reminds me of Smaug triggers. Since a room can't fire a dart, Smaug uses a mob called Supermob to mimic the room and fire the dart. I wonder if Puff is there, firing the dart? Of course though, TBA is a mud in which rooms walk! There's a bug where rooms set off Valen Park's enter and exit triggers.

More
29 Jul 2015 04:15 #5473 by WhiskyTest
I remember having similar trouble with the wrong triggers firing, or not firing at all - room and mob ones.
If I set the triggers on the room with redit, or medit for mobs and then reboot the MUD they would come right.

I don't have any actual testing to prove either way, and at the time I figured it was user error.
It seemed to me that attaching with the attach/detach commands would mess up which ones triggered.

But perhaps those commands are doing something wrong with the trigger vnum list like not resolving vnum to rnum for the lists..?

More
29 Jul 2015 13:56 - 29 Jul 2015 13:57 #5474 by krell

Parnassus wrote: You can see that the dart is attacking before you enter the room. It seems to me that this isn't necessarily a bad thing, if you consider that the dart guards the room.

Perhaps that is even what Detta intended, it be interesting to hear her thoughts on that. I'm also curious if Puff or some other random MOB showed up when she was testing it. The trigger clearly has the word test in its name and perhaps wasn't meant for production?

As you noticed, Puff has disappeared! This reminds me of Smaug triggers. Since a room can't fire a dart, Smaug uses a mob called Supermob to mimic the room and fire the dart. I wonder if Puff is there, firing the dart? Of course though, TBA is a mud in which rooms walk! There's a bug where rooms set off Valen Park's enter and exit triggers.

I think the bug is the script itself. It does a loop to find all the actors in, at least this case, an empty room before any actors are present to be found. So the script is forced to run and, instead of failing to work or crashing, it exhibits this odd behavior. Add a wait and the actor has time to enter the room and get picked up in the loop.

So no, even though the thought of Puff being the MUD supermob is amusing, as I'm sure you intended, I have to rebuff that with "Nu huh, gods did it!"
Last edit: 29 Jul 2015 13:57 by krell.

More
29 Jul 2015 14:01 #5475 by krell
That is weird. Do you still have that issue WhiskeyTest?

More
30 Jul 2015 21:59 #5476 by thomas
The bug is the script, yes. And Puff IS the "supermob", and is there to hurt the player.

What happens is that since the script attacks the player when they are moving, Puff is not moved back to the void fast enough to not be seen.

I'd suggest one of two "fixes" to the trigger:

either return 0, and prevent entry,
or wait 1 cycle (wait 1 c) before hitting the player. Then Puff wouldn't be there when the player moved into the room.

Time to create page: 0.199 seconds