Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question creating and editing skills and spells

More
30 Jun 2016 16:41 #6051 by Hagoromo
Am not really sure

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Jul 2016 04:14 #6052 by Parnassus

mackrishi wrote: Hi, Is there a way to create and edit spells and skills using olc? I'm very new to this codebase . Any help appreciated.

It depends on how indepth you want them and how you want them used. If they can be attached to something that must be used to do the spell or skill, you can fake it with triggers. An example of this could be lockpicking. Let's say that you need a lockpick to do lockpicking. You put a trigger on the lockpick which uses the skill info like chance percentages. You then remote any virtual gains to the player's profile. Any time the player has the lockpick and commands pick <doorname>, the remote is checked and used as the random chance number. Successful tries add one to the variable. When the variable hits 100, then the lock is picked every time.

You could decide to write a spell for lightningstrike and attach it to Thor's hammer or some sort of healing spell and attach it to a caduceus. You'd set up apply damage or negative damage to the target and again, you could gain experience with the spell to make it stronger or to hit more often.

As for just a general spell or skill, no, I don't think you can do that in OLC or triggers. Fizban was trying out attaching triggers to players but I don't think that it worked well enough to count on for this.

More
01 Jul 2016 04:23 #6053 by Parnassus

zusuk wrote: Just a heads up though, it probably won't compile as is.

I was always interested in this base since I use the RoA client. However, my coder associate gave up on trying to compile it. Actually, he may have been able to make it run but I never could, even with his help. I think I may have tried it out on his computer but there wasn't much to see because I don't think it had many stock areas. It was so long ago now that I can't remember. He must have gotten it running somehow because I wouldn't have a reason to think there weren't many stock areas otherwise.

I still can't break myself of the habit of using the client though.

More
01 Jul 2016 04:32 #6054 by Parnassus
Sorry, I didn't realize this topic was over a year old. mackrishi probably no longer needs this.

Time to create page: 0.183 seconds