Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Adventures in Triggering

More
10 Jun 2014 22:09 #4917 by Parnassus
I wrote a Global Time trigger and set out to test it. I waited out the time and nothing happened.

So... okay, make sure that the time is set up right. The best way to do this is to compare it to a proven trigger. In this case, my trigger of choice is Rumble's butcher sign. I look it up by using vnum t butcher and yup, there it is. Comparison shows that I seem to be set up right.

So... next, check to see if maybe the variables or somesuch are right. The usual way to do this is to %echo% the main variables. This usually takes the form of:
%echo% Variable = %variable% Arg = %arg%
Then, if you see an echo that looks like:
Variable = Arg =
you know there's something wrong with your variables.

Change the time to the next hour and wait it out. Hmm, still nothing. No echo at all. Okay, maybe there's an ifcheck that the trigger isn't passing. Check all the ifchecks, put echos in before and after each ifcheck to find out where it's failing. Change the time and try again. Still nothing! An hour of testing and I still can't find out what's wrong! Do a look, only to see that, um, well, there's no trigger info in the room...

Stat the room. Nope, no triggers attached at all. Change the time again, attach the trigger to the room and wait out the time again. Wow, watch the echos fly! And, yeah, by this time there are a LOT of echos there. And what do you know? The trigger was fine all along.

Victory!
The following user(s) said Thank You: thomas

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.158 seconds