Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Parna's Latest Ponderings

More
24 Jan 2014 01:39 #4662 by Parnassus
I'm pondering away, as always, and my latest ponder goes something like this:

If I were to make a zone, which may or may not be a maze, but which stays the same until someone reaches the final room at which time the exits will change, would this be coded or would it be triggered?

If it's coded, does it need some sort of algorithm to ensure that the final room is accessible? Or is the chance of the final room not being accessible so low as to be negligible? If the zone is a maze, I expect the chances of the final room not being accessible would rise. Would it be possible to code random mazes?

If it's triggered, would I need to map it out ahead of time to trigger the exits? And, if so, how many variations would I probably need to make it look random?

These thoughts and questions are so foggy that they probably can't be answered but I'd appreciate any thoughts or suggestions to help pull them into focus. Also, in case things go in the direction of a variety of pre-plotted mazes, does anyone have any suggestions as to how to create a bunch of 9x9 or 9x10 mazes?

Random has a great Mist Maze but this isn't what I'm looking for because I want the exits to stay the same until an event changes them. Because the Mist Mazes exits keep changing, the final room would always be eventually accessible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2014 17:52 - 24 Jan 2014 17:54 #4663 by RussBrown
Replied by RussBrown on topic Parna's Latest Ponderings
I think if you have a maze of about 80-100 rooms you could have one basic layout. Then you could pick 5-10 key rooms and have your event only change those key rooms. I would have four sets of the key rooms which would be each of the rooms rotated in 90 degree increments. With a little planning you could insure that every variation led to the final room. You could even explain this in game as a hidden mechanism that rotated the rooms.

I am not familiar enough with dg scripts yet to offer an opinion on using triggers vs. spec_procs.

I totally want to make a rotating room now. :)
Last edit: 24 Jan 2014 17:54 by RussBrown.

More
24 Jan 2014 22:01 #4664 by aredcloak19
Even though I know a general idea for dg scripts, my not an experts my any means. Although, this makes me want to do a zone about warehouse13(syfy channel t.v. series) It had a M.C. Escher vault where it could only be navigated through using special equipment. This held items of bronzed people(bad people). I would recommend the series if you like weird historical things like Edger Allen Poe's journal and quill.

I'm the one that people say, "How did you break this and what did you do to break it."

More
01 Feb 2014 14:18 #4673 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic Parna's Latest Ponderings
Thanks for the responses. I'm sorry to have taken so long. I'm still turning it all around in my head, similar to a maze, in fact!

More
16 Feb 2014 15:42 #4700 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic Parna's Latest Ponderings
My latest pondering on this subject have uncovered something that might be a bug or a feature so I'm looking for more information on it.

The idea was that I link rooms but have no doors so that I could use a trigger to flag open the doors that I want. This is what happens:
Code:
Name: 'Opening the doors', VNum: [40602], RNum: [ 1445] Trigger Intended Assignment: Mobiles Trigger Type: Speech , Numeric Arg: 100, Arg list: test Commands: %door% 40668 north flags a %door% 40668 east flags a %door% 40668 west flags a %door% 40668 north room 40658 %door% 40668 east room 40669 %door% 40668 south room 40678 %door% 40668 west room 40667

This is the outcome:
[ Exits: n e s w ]
Exit north: To: [40658], Key: [ 0], Keywords: None, Type: DOOR
No exit description.
Exit east : To: [40669], Key: [ 0], Keywords: None, Type: DOOR
No exit description.
Exit south: To: [40678], Key: [ 0], Keywords: None, Type: NOBITS
No exit description.
Exit west : To: [40667], Key: [ 0], Keywords: None, Type: DOOR
No exit description.

Just out of curiosity, I went into another room and redited an exit:
1) Exit to : 40668
2) Description :-
<NONE>
3) Door name : <NONE>
4) Key : 0
5) Door flags : No door
6) Purge exit.

And again, the exit was there.
[ Exits: e ]
Exit east : To: [40668], Key: [ 0], Keywords: None, Type: NOBITS
No exit description.

So here's my question. If I'm triggering an exit flag a, do I really need to flag it? Are there any dangers to having a nobits exit? It seems a waste of trigger space to use two lines when one does the same thing.

I would use hidden doors and trigger them open to make them visible except that afterwards, (as I found when doing the elevator triggers) you can't trigger them invisible again.

This leads to another question. Why is it possible to hide an exit manually but not through triggers?
0) No door
1) Closeable door
2) Pickproof Door
3) Hidden Door
4) Hidden, Pickproof Door

Of course, that 0 isn't actually No door either. It's simply a door with no bits.

Time to create page: 0.208 seconds