Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question How do you start your speech triggers?

More
06 Oct 2013 20:04 #4379 by Parnassus
This is the same topic I posted on TMC because I wanted to see general answers first and now I'm looking for answers specific to TBAmud:
www.mudconnect.com/SMF/index.php?topic=78257.0

I've seen speech triggers triggered by sentences (i want a ticket) to cut down on the chance of hitting it by accident.
I've seen speech triggers triggered by words with punctuation (ticket.) again, to cut down on the chance of hitting it by accident.
I've seen speech triggers triggered by a single word (ticket) for simplicity.
I've seen speech triggers triggered by parts of words (tick) in recognition of player laziness.

Do you feel that one of these works better than others? And why? Or do you maybe just use all of them, just in case? Or something different?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2013 21:38 #4381 by Rumble
Each has their uses and that is why you can use the trigger numeric argument to do what you want (0 = match a string, 1 = match any in a list of words). Help file below for those that want more info.

TRIGEDIT-MOB-SPEECH TRIG-MOB-SPEECH TRIGEDIT-SPEECH TRIG-SPEECH

Activates when matching text is spoken by a character in the same room as the
mobile. This does not work for tells, gossip, etc.

Numeric Arg : 0: argument is a substring that must be found in the speech to cause a
match.
1: argument is a list of words, any of which found in the speech will
activate the trigger.
Argument : a phrase or wordlist to be matched.

Variables:
%actor% - the character whose speech activated the trigger.
%speech% - the entire phrase spoken.
%self% - the mobile.

Example: TSTAT 53, 2776, 63, 153, 1354, 139

See also: TRIGEDIT-ROOM-SPEECH

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
06 Oct 2013 21:40 #4382 by thomas
My experience is that the last one is the most used, as it prevents the age-old "guess the sentence"-game which has plagued text-input games for ages (and some point and click adventures too).

More
07 Oct 2013 01:12 #4383 by Parnassus
Looking at stock triggers, the common usage seems to be to take a part of the word (/=) out of a sentence (car and cdr). But here's another question: I've worked with /= which means that if the argument is ticket, tick can be used. Fizban has mentioned that /= means that if I say "ick", the trigger will fire. His version prevents this. But what if I say "I want a ticket." or "Give me a ticket, please." or "May I please have a ticket?" (because I was brought up to speak in sentences and be polite to NPCs)? Those will fire under /= but not under Fizban's version.

Time to create page: 0.197 seconds