Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Door Physics

More
06 Sep 2013 02:15 #4279 by Parnassus
Door Physics was created by Parnassus
I was working on a section of rooms that make a path. I decided that within this path, I wanted the backwards doors to be closed and the forward doors to be open, so that people would always know which way to go but would have the ability to go back if they wanted.

First, I gave all the backdoors a different name than the frontdoors and made a trigger to close all backdoors. When I checked the rooms, the backdoors are connected to the frontdoors. Every backdoor closed also closed the frontdoor of the room behind. This is totally logical because if you close a door manually, it closes both sides.

Then I decided to remove all the frontdoors (change from closeable to isadoor), leaving only the backdoors. This is when things got even more interesting. When I checked the rooms, the backdoors were closed and so were the frontdoors. The backdoors could be opened but the frontdoors could not because there was no door there to be opened!

I can make a one-sided door that goes from a to b but not b to a but I can't make a two-sided door that can be closed on one side. I can zedit one side of the door to close at reset and zedit the other side to be open so after reset, the doors look just the way I want them but I can't keep them that way.

A one-size fits all entry trigger would be messy since, because of the layout of rooms, the door to be closed could be in any direction and the room vnum could be higher or lower. If I trigger to close the door the player came through, if the player wants to look in earlier rooms again, the doors going forward would be triggered to close.

So, the first question is: Does it make any sense that a door that doesn't exist can be closed but not opened, just to make it so if a door is opened, it must be opened both sides? Even though I don't need to make a door on both sides or I can make a door that leads from a to b but going through from the other direction might lead from b to c?

And the second question is: Has anyone noticed this before and has a workaround for it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2013 00:42 #4334 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic Door Physics
Strangely, tstat 17 shows that %door% needs to be set in both directions:
* Now for Continuity, door commands must be set for reverse direction FROM 14521

I didn't really want to use the amount of %door%s I'd need to because of the way my rooms are set up but I have to admit, it does exactly what I was looking for.

That said, I still think that it's a bug that closing a one-sided door will make the doorless side apparently impassable.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.184 seconds