Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question day/night areas

More
02 Apr 2013 22:54 #1770 by dracmas
day/night areas was created by dracmas
Was wondering how to go about this but have no clue.
Imagine an area like midgaard which is normal during the daylight,
but then during night hours the descriptions change to ominous descriptions,
the mobs turn evil like a dog would turn into a werewolf at night. EQ worn
would also go from good aligned to evil. So it would be two areas in one, only
I'd like to know a way to do it without having two area files. I know it can be
done with scripting, just not sure how to go about it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Apr 2013 23:53 #1771 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic day/night areas
Trigedit can not edit room descriptions yet. But you can use a room-time trigger to change things. Below is an example.
Code:
Name: 'Butcher Shop Closes', VNum: [ 211], RNum: [ 211] Trigger Intended Assignment: Rooms Trigger Type: Global Time , Numeric Arg: 21, Arg list: None Commands: * By Rumble of The Builder Academy tbamud.com 9091 %echo% The butcher's assistant steps out of the shop to the North and turns the sign over from "open" to "closed." %load% obj 70 if %findobj.291(69)% %purge% signopened end

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
03 Apr 2013 18:21 #1775 by dracmas
Replied by dracmas on topic day/night areas
So I'd be able to change items and mobs, but nothing I can do about the room description?

More
03 Apr 2013 23:15 - 03 Apr 2013 23:16 #1777 by Silvaria
Replied by Silvaria on topic day/night areas
I think because you're technically changing an entire description via OLC, that a trigger can't handle that.

Maybe if there were some way to force a player into a different room vnum without them realizing that the actual vnum is changing... But you would have to build the exact same zone twice, once in daylight and once in nighttime.

I don't know if something like that is even possible, but to my knowledge, the only way to force a player character to move is to summon them.

Began building in July, 2012.

Began learning C in July, 2013.

Downloaded ROM and TBAmud in August, 2013.

Conversion nearly complete.
Last edit: 03 Apr 2013 23:16 by Silvaria. Reason: adding detail

More
03 Apr 2013 23:52 #1779 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic day/night areas
Correct, you can't change a room description. But you could use Silvaria's idea of using %teleport% to send the character to the night version of the vnum you want.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
02 Jun 2013 20:49 #2867 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic day/night areas
If you want to see an example of writing the area twice to fake day/night code, check out 56000 on tba. Make sure nohassle is off, go downstairs and north. You can wander around a bit or just stand in a room that has at least one mob in it and wait. You should see mobs moving in and out and eventually you'll see what looks like a repop message. When you see that (or the mobs seem different) look at the room again.

It's important to start at 56000 and not in a random room because that can throw off the triggers. If nohassle is on, you won't see the area in action. You can stay imm level as long as nohassle is off.

This area is one trigger off from being released as a donated area, but it's been like this for over two years (sorry to all those who were told it was going to be very soon over two years ago!) If you check it out and find any problems, just add to this thread please so I can fix them before it goes live.

It was written mainly to play with fake day/night code, mob entry and exit and mob transforms.

Time to create page: 0.216 seconds