Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Mud Hosting?

More
17 Oct 2012 01:36 #904 by Papaya Pete
Mud Hosting? was created by Papaya Pete
I was going to ask this under the topic on tbaMUD listings, but thought it would better suited as a separate question. Don't want to clutter that up!

What mud hosts are people using these days? Are they just using servers in their own homes, or is there a site they're joining? I'm wondering where I should start looking, once mine is ready to be opened up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2012 02:27 #905 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic Re: Mud Hosting?

Papaya Pete wrote: I was going to ask this under the topic on tbaMUD listings, but thought it would better suited as a separate question. Don't want to clutter that up!

What mud hosts are people using these days? Are they just using servers in their own homes, or is there a site they're joining? I'm wondering where I should start looking, once mine is ready to be opened up.

I use Xidus . I love it. Always online. Fast compiling times.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
17 Oct 2012 05:14 #906 by Vatiken
Replied by Vatiken on topic Re: Mud Hosting?
I've both used and can recommend dune.net and genesismuds.com, they both start off at less then $5 a month if I'm not mistaken.

tbaMUD developer/programmer

More
17 Oct 2012 05:45 #907 by Papaya Pete
Replied by Papaya Pete on topic Re: Mud Hosting?
Nice! I'll definitely look into both of those, I was actually thinking it'd cost me around $15 a month to keep a server up and running.

And regarding the crafting bug... the only thing I can think of is me using 64-bit Windows 7 and Cygwin, since some of my older programs don't work on this machine. Might account for no one else having any issues while I do.

More
17 Oct 2012 12:27 #908 by Gahan
Replied by Gahan on topic Re: Mud Hosting?
I'm using Linode, I'd prefer, for an exta 10 bucks a month, to have a full slice; a totally unshared VPS. Get a gig of ram, 50gb of space and a quad core xeon CPU, and whatever operating system you're most familiar with.

Gives me total control of the host with the availability to host the website, run a builder port, a coding port, and the main port along with other extra little things that allow java connections to the mud from the website and other support applications such as valgrind and extra development tools.

If you can afford it, this is the way to go. Plus no nagging that you are approaching your RAM limits/max incoming connections/max bandwidth, or any other restrictions that are relinquished with a VPS.

More
17 Oct 2012 21:52 #909 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Re: Mud Hosting?
funny, seeing as Cruel World Mud (which was the name TbaMUD had before Rumble turned up) was hosted at dune.net back in the day...

Time to create page: 0.205 seconds