Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Help - Translating Content within circle.exe in tbaMUD

More
29 Jun 2024 06:55 - 29 Jun 2024 06:59 #10409 by linkg
When we compile tbaMUD, a circle.exe file is generated. This file contains various phrases, options, and menus that cannot be translated because modifying the .exe file corrupts it, causing it to stop working, and requiring the generation of a new circle.exe.

I am creating this post to ask if there is any way to translate the content inside circle.exe before it is created. 

If this translation is not currently possible, I request the community's help in finding a way to relocate this content from circle.exe to other files within the lib or src folders, making the translation process more accessible.

For a little example:
Code:
Welcome to tbaMUD!  May your visit here be... Enlightening Welcome to tbaMUD!     (0  )) Exit from tbaMUD.     (1  )) Enter the game.     (2  )) Enter description.     (3  )) Read the background story.     (4  )) Change password.     (5  )) Delete this character.    Make your choice: 'lib' Nothing seems to happen.
Last edit: 29 Jun 2024 06:59 by linkg.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2024 21:35 #10410 by cunning
First off, you cannot directly edit the executable, it will corrupt it as you found out. IF you want to change the menu you can edit the file in /lib/text/greetings that will update the menu. of course, this requires the game to be restarted. The code that references this greetings file is in comm.c
The following user(s) said Thank You: linkg

More
30 Jun 2024 21:55 #10411 by thomas
The links should help you find where the defaults are set.

github.com/tbamud/tbamud/blob/762cb77c60...07/src/config.c#L265

But to do what you're asking - use the in-game cedit command.

More
05 Jul 2024 04:33 - 05 Jul 2024 04:41 #10412 by linkg
Thank you very much for your help. Your responses were sufficient to assist me in continuing with the translation and editing of menus.

However, I am encountering a new issue with accented Portuguese words, such as: é, ç, ", ã, õ, ê, etc. Each of these characters appears as a different "code." After numerous searches on the internet and forums, following tips on saving files with UTF-8 encoding, I still couldn't resolve the problem.

The words continue to appear incorrectly. I saved the files with UTF-8 encoding using Notepad, VS Code, and even tried a program called Sublime Text 2, but nothing worked. The client I am using to access my tbamud-2023 translated and localhosted is Mushclient.

(Mushclient)

(config.c)
Last edit: 05 Jul 2024 04:41 by linkg.

More
06 Jul 2024 18:57 #10413 by thomas
The symbols you see (̤ˣ, for instance) is the ASCII representation of the bytes in the utf-8 encoded string.

tbaMUD is ASCII based. This means that only the symbols in the ASCII table are available. However, some of our users have adapted it to korean (or portuguese?) earlier, using utf-8 (or utf-16?), so it's obviously possible to extend to further charsets. I personally haven't tried doing that.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASCII#Character_set

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds