Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question New Developer

More
13 Dec 2019 09:33 #8446 by Hanyo
New Developer was created by Hanyo
Hey there!

So Long story short I'm looking at beginning development on my own and the most experience I have is a fair amount of building and trigger building with DG / Oasis OLC but not so much the hard code. That experience comes from a place built on a heavily modified version of CWG Rasputin IIRC, and this is what I was looking at as maybe a start since it has a lot of pre-fabricated stuff I can re-skin and build on and look at versus TBA which seems to be more or less 'empty' ?

I know CWG included like D20 rules and that's nice though not something I hugely need to care about, moreso I'm comfortable with the OLC / DG way of building ... what's going to be better for me? Can a 'starter' world be added into TBA which is at least still getting updates and being worked on it looks like? Would it be possible to use TBA and take the files for classes/skills/etc/and so on from CWG and incorporate them? Just a nudge in the right direction or suggestions would be super helpful and thank you!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2019 13:44 #8448 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic New Developer
It would take some work, but yes I'd recommend using tbaMUD and adding the skills and spells you want so you can have the latest bug fixes and updates. Attached are some howto's to get you started.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
Attachments:

More
17 Dec 2019 16:07 #8449 by Papaya Pete
Replied by Papaya Pete on topic New Developer
I concur; TBAMud is a great way to get into coding/building for a mud. I have not looked around for other code bases all that much, but this seems to be the only one that is actively developed today.
Another plus side is you can do quite a lot with it. I am not sure what you had in mind, but I am sure that you can either find a snippet or create your own (with nice enough people on here willing to help, at least if you are willing to show you are doing your best). There are also a lot of awesome DG script references and examples on this site and forums.

Time to create page: 0.343 seconds