Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question tbaMUD 2019 Release

More
20 Jan 2019 00:39 #8299 by Rumble
tbaMUD 2019 Release was created by Rumble
Premium (all) tbaMUD members get first access. Check it out here or the links below. I'll post to the other MUD forums tomorrow. As usual, we always appreciate feedback and bug reports.

tbaMUD 2019 Release

Our 21st release since 2006. More bug fixes and an updated World.

Download tbaMUD 2019 via Github or our Downloads at www.tbamud.com .

Github: github.com/tbamud/tbamud
Changelog: github.com/tbamud/tbamud/commits/master

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: rudeboyrave, WhiskyTest, lacrc

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 May 2019 10:27 #8373 by Pacifist
Replied by Pacifist on topic tbaMUD 2019 Release
Suggestions. First, add a modern scripting language such as Lua. Secondly, to remake the files of the world into a json-format, approximately as github.com/FLWFTW/cyberMUD/blob/master/areas/city.json

More
06 May 2019 19:23 #8375 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic tbaMUD 2019 Release
I agree wholeheartedly. We really should do something about those file formats. json is a good human-readable format and I'm sure there are libraries readily available to read it into C. I think we should look into abstracting out the data storage.

However, adding lua support is a tricky path; first off, we already have a scripting language, and it is reasonably powerful. It's designed for the domain it's supposed to work in. It's also limited so a bad script won't terminate the mud or use extreme amounts of resources. All of that needs to be done to contain the lua script driver as well. And that's a bundle of work. Ain't nobody got time for that.

More
06 May 2019 22:43 - 06 May 2019 22:45 #8384 by Pacifist

thomas wrote: we already have a scripting language

A bad trigger on a dgscript crush the entire server. Since they are usually written by non-professional programmers, this is not good. Also DGscript obsolete and useless language outside the Circle. I do not insist on Lua, there are many other wonderful languages.
Last edit: 06 May 2019 22:45 by Pacifist.

More
07 May 2019 21:36 #8385 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic tbaMUD 2019 Release

Since they are usually written by non-professional programmers, this is not good

Well, that's the problem, isn't it? My point when dismissing lua isn't that lua is a bad scripting language. It works, and it's been developed for years and have a semi-large following. My point is that since the scripting language we use in the mud is crucial to the uptime of the mud, we're not likely to want to have to start over on the hardening.
You mention that a bad trigger can crush the server - but we've iterated over that situation for years, and there are now fewer scripts that will lock up the server than there was when we started. This process would have to start all over again with a new scripting language.
One might argue that since lua is a separate language, it is easier to embed it and limit the scope of the sandbox. At the same time, this introduces unknowns - we have the source code of dg scripts readily available and can fix it if we get a bug report. With lua we'd either have to add a library dependency (which we'd very much like to avoid since this is notoriously difficult cross-platform) or we'd have to add some external source code as part of the build, and keep it up-to-date over time.
I agree that dg scripts has a limited audience. That does not necessarily mean we should ditch it for the sake of it.

More
08 May 2019 05:16 #8387 by Pacifist
All modern game engines provide the ability to work with multiple scripting languages. This is convenient for their users. It would be nice to be able to add other scripting languages in the TbaMUD if necessary.

Time to create page: 0.272 seconds