Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Crashing On Shutdown

More
29 Apr 2018 16:27 - 30 Apr 2018 14:00 #7999 by krell
Replied by krell on topic Crashing On Shutdown

Papaya Pete wrote: Honestly, I'm not really sure what free_list(global_lists) even does. Hah, it would help if I understood what exactly the error was in the first place in order to fix it! What global variables does it deal with?

global_lists is struct of type char that is created using create_list() when the mud is first started up. free_lists() is called to free and NULL the addresses used by global_lists upon shutdown.

Side note: rebooting the mud does NOT trigger the crash. "Shutdown" and "shutdown die" do trigger it. I suppose that narrows it down slightly!

Yes, if global_lists is using addresses it isn't supposed to then it'll show up on shutdown when free_lists() is called. I believe a simple reboot or copyover doesn't require clearing all memory, though you'd think a reboot should. Maybe there's some sort of speedup involved by NOT clearing out all memory on reboot?

I've had, and continue to have, a similar issue on shutdown except my problem shows up in clearing out the followers lists. So I never even get to that section in comm.c.

Edit: Actually, create_list() is a struct of type list_data*, not char*.

Edit 2: Just in case my tone seems to indicate otherwise, I'm not an expert but this is what I believe I've figured out while trying to debug my own crashing on shutdown issue. Take everything I say with a helping of NaCl.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2018 14:00 by krell.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds