Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Ship System

More
13 Feb 2017 18:30 #6576 by Dvinn
Ship System was created by Dvinn
I would like to hear what ways a ship system with cannons/boarding/etc could be achieved? I'm not a very competent programmer, I've been mostly copying/pasting snippets, adjusting code, etc.

For the ship system, I have thought about making it completely trigger-based. The way I was going about it was to have a ship object that teleports the player to the ship itself via "board". From there, the "helm" room of the ship would act as the teleporter and also transfer the ship object to the new room destination. Of course, this route wouldn't allow me to have a combat system and boarding.

Please share your thoughts if you have time! Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Feb 2017 23:09 #6577 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Ship System
Stop by TBA and I'll advance you to look at some examples "vnum trigger ship" returns 8. No guarantees on quality, but at least it will give you some ideas and you can test them.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
14 Feb 2017 03:22 #6578 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Ship System
I've seen vehicles coded in as item types which works well. Builders can create them on the fly without needing trigger writing knowledge.

You'd add a couple of new items, for example: ITEM_VEHICLE, ITEM_VEHICLE_HATCH
Make two new commands : enter , leave

The vehicle is pretty much the object ITEM_VEHICLE that moves around in the world.
One of its values is the VNUM of the room which you've created to be the interior of the vehicle.
When you 'enter the vehicle' it moves you to the vehicle interior.

Inside you'd load the object ITEM_VEHICLE_HATCH which has a pointer to the object VNUM of the ITEM_VEHICLE.
When you type leave, it sends you to the room which ITEM_VEHICLE is currently in.

Cannons and boarding could be triggers or commands/skills

Hope that made sense :)

Either triggers or coding will get the same result, just go with whichever you are more comfortable with.
I'd do coding. Someone like Parnassus would trigger it all up no problem

Time to create page: 0.174 seconds