Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question 2 player limit connection

More
17 Jan 2017 06:01 - 17 Jan 2017 06:03 #6535 by Dvinn
I was working on my MUD all weekend and all was well. Now, suddenly, I can't connect more than 2 characters. See below. Rebooting fixed it but I'm scared. I'm unsure of what could've caused this.

First it was this:
Code:
Jan 17 00:58:30 201 :: WARNING: EOF on socket read (connection broken by peer) Jan 17 00:58:30 201 :: Closing link to: Dvinn. Jan 17 00:58:31 201 :: WARNING: EOF on socket read (connection broken by peer)

Then after I rebooted I received a sys crash log with this:
Code:
SYSERR: perform_socket_read: about to lose connection: Software caused connection abort Jan 17 01:00:57 201 :: Losing descriptor without char. SYSERR: perform_socket_read: about to lose connection: Software caused connection abort Jan 17 01:00:58 201 :: Losing descriptor without char. SYSERR: perform_socket_read: about to lose connection: Software caused connection abort
Last edit: 17 Jan 2017 06:03 by Dvinn.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Jan 2017 20:22 #6536 by WhiskyTest
The first one - connection broken by peer - is pretty standard, you get it when someone ends their session without using the 'quit' command. Eg: they just close their MUD client and their character goes linkless.

Second one I haven't seen before. Maybe its related to the first - the MUD client is crashing or doing something strange?

But as for the issue of only having two connections.. um... was the MUD definitely running? Sounds silly but if you got a crash report then maybe the game had frozen/hung/ gone into an endless loop or was otherwise unresponsive.. ?

More
17 Jan 2017 20:25 - 17 Jan 2017 20:27 #6537 by Dvinn
Replied by Dvinn on topic 2 player limit connection
I thought that as well, that perhaps my connected characters were stuck in some loop -- but the game was fully responding to their commands and still "reacting". I guess I'll just see how it goes as I tinker with it tonight. Like I said, rebooting fixed it, so I'm not entirely sure what's going on. I'm using my locahost to run the server so I wonder if my ISP dropped me and then the MUD was stuck in some strange loop.

Lastly, I did try using two different MUD clients to see if that would work, but it didn't.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2017 20:27 by Dvinn.

More
04 Feb 2017 11:31 #6565 by Fizban
Replied by Fizban on topic 2 player limit connection
I've never seen that second message either. What address were you connecting to?

I know you mentioned it's locally hosted, but were you literally connecting to 127.0.0.1/localhost, or were you connecting to your actual IP? Just wondering if your firewall was somehow involved

Time to create page: 0.269 seconds