Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Newbie code snippet problem

More
01 Apr 2018 19:19 - 01 Apr 2018 21:45 #7864 by Nibiru
Replied by Nibiru on topic Newbie code snippet problem
That solved the compiling issue. :)

Any suggestions on troubleshooting the crashing issue?
These parts work- If attempting to forage on wrong terrain type it returns the message you can't forage here.
If player does not have the skill, it returns the message you don't know how.

At the point where the function is determining if an item is found/finding an item it crashes the mud.
I created items using the same item numbers as the original code, so it is possible to find the items.

These are my compiler warnings:

make[1]: Entering directory '/home/kadiya/tbamud/src'
gcc -g -O2 -Wall -Wno-char-subscripts -Wno-unused-but-set-variable -c -o act.other.o act.ot her.c
act.other.c: In function ‘do_forage’:
act.other.c:860:3: warning: suggest parentheses around assignment used as truth value [-Wparen theses]
if(GET_RACE(ch) = RACE_BUBATIN && GET_LEVEL(ch) <= 2)
^~
act.other.c:912:16: warning: passing argument 1 of ‘obj_to_char’ from incompatible pointer typ e [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
obj_to_char(ch,item_found );
^~
In file included from act.other.c:20:0:
handler.h:33:6: note: expected ‘struct obj_data *’ but argument is of type ‘struct char_data ’
void obj_to_char(struct obj_data *object, struct char_data *ch);
^~~~~~~~~~~
act.other.c:912:19: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘obj_to_char’ from incompatible pointer typ e [-Wincompatible-pointer-types]
obj_to_char(ch,item_found );
^~~~~~~~~~
In file included from act.other.c:20:0:
handler.h:33:6: note: expected ‘struct char_data *’ but argument is of type ‘struct obj_data ’
void obj_to_char(struct obj_data *object, struct char_data *ch);
^~~~~~~~~~~
act.other.c:913:17: warning: passing argument 2 of ‘sprintf’ makes pointer from integer withou t a cast [-Wint-conversion]
sprintf( buf,sizeof(buf),"%sYou have found %s!\r\n", buf, item_found->short_description)
^~~~~~
In file included from /usr/include/stdio.h:29:0,
from sysdep.h:69,
from act.other.c:15:
/usr/include/stdio.h:244:5: note: expected ‘const char * restrict’ but argument is of type ‘lo ng unsigned int’
int _EXFUN(sprintf, (char *__restrict, const char *__restrict, ...)

This is the code after modifications for my mud:
Code:
ACMD(do_forage) { struct obj_data *item_found = '\0'; int item_no = 10053; /* Initialize with first item poss. */ char buf[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH] = "\0"; if(GET_RACE(ch) = RACE_BUBATIN && GET_LEVEL(ch) <= 2) { send_to_char(ch,"You have no idea how to forage for survival!\r\n"); return; } if(GET_MOVE(ch) < 50) { send_to_char(ch,"You do not have enough energy right now.\r\n" ); return; } if(SECT(ch->in_room) != SECT_FIELD && SECT(ch->in_room) != SECT_FOREST && SECT(ch->in_room) != SECT_HILLS && SECT(ch->in_room) != SECT_MOUNTAIN && SECT(ch->in_room) != SECT_SWAMP) { send_to_char(ch, "You cannot forage on this type of terrain!\r\n"); return; } if(GET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_FORAGE) <= 0) { send_to_char(ch,"You have no idea how to forage!\r\n" ); return; } send_to_char(ch,"You start searching the area for signs of food.\r\n"); act("$n starts foraging the area for food.\r\n", FALSE, ch, 0, 0, TO_ROOM) ; if(rand_number(1,101) > GET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_FORAGE)) { WAIT_STATE(ch, PULSE_VIOLENCE * 2); GET_MOVE(ch) -= (50 - GET_LEVEL(ch)); send_to_char(ch,"\r\nYou have no luck finding anything to eat.\r\n" ); return; } else { switch (rand_number(1,7)) { case 1: item_no = 10053; break; /*<--- Here are the objects you need to code */ case 2: /* Add more or remove some, just change the */ item_no = 10054; break; /* switch(number(1, X) */ case 3: item_no = 10055; break; case 4: item_no = 10056; break; case 5: item_no = 10057; break; case 6: item_no = 10058; break; case 7: item_no = 10059; break; } WAIT_STATE( ch, PULSE_VIOLENCE * 2); /* Not really necessary */ GET_MOVE(ch) -= (50 - GET_LEVEL(ch)); item_found = read_object( item_no, VIRTUAL); obj_to_char(ch,item_found ); sprintf( buf,sizeof(buf),"%sYou have found %s!\r\n", buf, item_found->short_description) ; send_to_char(ch, buf, item_found ); act("$n has found something in his forage attempt.\r\n", FALSE, ch, 0, 0, TO_ROOM); return; } }

Nibiru
Last edit: 01 Apr 2018 21:45 by thomas. Reason: added [ code ] formatting

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Apr 2018 22:12 #7865 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Newbie code snippet problem
Instead of the suggested
Code:
char buf[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH] = "\0";
use
Code:
char buf[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH]; *buf = '\0';

Secondly, you are using assignment (=) instead of equality checking (==) here:
Code:
- if(GET_RACE(ch) = RACE_BUBATIN && GET_LEVEL(ch) <= 2) + if(GET_RACE(ch) == RACE_BUBATIN && GET_LEVEL(ch) <= 2)

Third, setting the object data to a string isn't a good idea:
Code:
-struct obj_data *item_found = '\0'; +struct obj_data *item_found = NULL;

Lastly, the order of operators to obj_to_char is obj_data pointer, then char_data pointer.
Code:
- obj_to_char(ch,item_found ); + obj_to_char(item_found, ch );
The following user(s) said Thank You: Chime

More
02 Apr 2018 03:32 #7866 by Nibiru
Replied by Nibiru on topic Newbie code snippet problem
Thank you,
Your suggestions, plus adding an additional if statement after the check to see if the player has the skill got me past the instant crash. So next weekend I'll see if I can get it to work as expected and load one of the items or produce the nothing found message.

Nibiru

More
02 Apr 2018 21:08 - 02 Apr 2018 21:08 #7870 by JTP
Replied by JTP on topic Newbie code snippet problem
What is the difference between
And
char buf[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH];
*buf = "\0";

?

The first one compiles fine and never gave me trouble in game.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 21:08 by JTP.

More
02 Apr 2018 21:29 - 02 Apr 2018 21:30 #7871 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Newbie code snippet problem

JTP wrote: What is the difference between

Code:
And
Code:
char buf[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH]; *buf = "\0";

?

The first one compiles fine and never gave me trouble in game.

The initialization will work, because C does things differently when initializing the variable than when assigning it later.

However, it will only work there -- stackoverflow.com/a/579758/1768263 . Several other places in the code, we are resetting a "global" buffer with
Code:
*buf = '\0';
Note the ' (single quotes) instead of " (double quotes), signifying we're just inserting a NULL as first character.

So, to keep the code similar everywhere, I suggest using that convention here, too.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2018 21:30 by thomas.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JTP

Time to create page: 0.201 seconds