Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Item Durability

More
21 May 2013 19:22 #2497 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Item Durability
I've been using cygwin on windows 7 for years without issue. I suggest you try updating (just run setup.exe again) and delete your config.* files, and then ./configure it again to see if you've got some faulty lib linked in...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 May 2013 19:50 #2499 by Vatiken
Replied by Vatiken on topic Item Durability
In the past I had used my Windows PC as my development port prior to uploading to my linux server and did deal with several occurrences where "crash bugs" would arise on my windows port that did not appear on my development server. I now do all my Mud Development on my own linux box before uploading to my linux server, and I also use linux for every other aspect of computing and no longer own Windows.

Whatever you choose to do is up to use is up to you, everyone has a preference. The only reason I am spending time writing this is because: A) You don't need another box to run a version of linux on your computer and B) In many cases Linux is easier and more user-friendly then Windows. My wife who is NOT computer literate uses Ubuntu and refuses to touch Windows. So if those are your only reasons from not sampling a linux OS, they are not quality reasons.

FYI, you can download a copy of Ubuntu and run it off a CD or USB without installing it just to check it out.

tbaMUD developer/programmer

More
21 May 2013 21:26 #2501 by Papaya Pete
Replied by Papaya Pete on topic Item Durability
I'll try reinstalling Cygwin again and see if it is just something faulty. But if that doesn't work... hmmm. I guess I stayed away from linux for so long because I hardly know anything about it. A friend of mine gave me the impression that I'd have a very difficult time figuring out how to do things on it. Perhaps it's time I actually look into it myself and find out if that's really the case.

Ubuntu, huh? Hmmm. Yeah, I'll take a look at that and see how it goes. I just have this laptop and want to keep windows 7 on it, but it would be cool to be able to run ubuntu or something else off of it as well.

More
21 May 2013 23:18 #2505 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Item Durability
Ubuntu installs cleanly in Windows now (does its own drive-partitioning with dual boot option). I was impressed when I tried it out for a few months. But, I went back to Windows when I bought my new laptop and haven't set it back up yet.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
22 May 2013 15:20 #2533 by Papaya Pete
Replied by Papaya Pete on topic Item Durability
Oh yeah, I almost forgot to do this after all that work!

Uploaded the item durability snippet. Throw a post here or something if it doesn't work right (and double-check the instructions to make sure you did them right!). :)

Thank you for your patience and help in getting this done!

More
22 May 2013 17:08 #2538 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Item Durability
Thanks for sharing.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Time to create page: 0.223 seconds