Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Why using git is sexy!

More
18 Jan 2013 19:00 - 18 Jan 2013 19:07 #1373 by Axanon
First off, I don't expect tbamud to up and switch VCSs, but I would like to try to get you guys to at least try it- or if you are already familiar with it, perhaps share your own experiences...

Everywhere I look, more people have been switching to GIT as a version control system. As I run Linux as my main OS, I follow a number of projects and I see a lot more open collaboration from members of communities. Many sites like github or bitbucket (and quite a few others) allow anyone to quickly setup their own repositories. Branching becomes a whole new ballgame, and sending bug fixes upstream becomes a whole lot nicer.

Differences
SVN is one repo and lots of clients. GIT is a repo with lots of client repos, each with a user. It's decentralised to a point where people can track their own edits locally without having to push things to an external server.

SVN is designed to be more central where GIT is based on each user having their own GIT repo and those repos push changes back up into a central one. For that reason, GIT gives individuals better local version control.

Then, with your own local master, you can make whats called a pull request to the upstream project. the project maintainer can review at the code and merge it at their own discretion.

Familiarities (or lack thereof)
Switching from SVN to GIT takes some (for some people, alot of) getting used to. The whole decentralized approach of repository management at first may seem daunting. Also, commands like like checkout in GIT, does not do the same as an svn checkout.

Try it and Learn
Try setting up a repo at a free hosting site and play with it. git-scm.com/ (GIT's home) has amazing resources: online simulation tutorial, amazing online documentation (html) or the book Pro Git , available online. There's also links to download the full book (for free!, no hooks or fine print) in a number of formats (.pdf, mobi and ePub).
Last edit: 18 Jan 2013 19:07 by Axanon.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Feb 2013 15:50 #1550 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Why using git is sexy!
I am reading up on GIT and am very impressed. Our webSVN has been causing major problems. So tbaMUD will switch to a GIT repo after we release 3.64.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
15 Apr 2013 16:26 #1924 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Why using git is sexy!
We are making our transition to GitHub. tbaMUD SVN has been locked and will no longer be used. I'll be testing out Git over the next few weeks and will try to write up some tutorials. You can check out our repository and subscribe at:
github.com/welcor/tbamud

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds