Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Seeing Stats as a player

More
11 May 2020 23:26 #8698 by Kilpin
Hi all,

I've spun up a little mud for me to play around with and for my girls to play on while we are in lockdown.

One thing that bothers me is finding out the stats scores of a player(STR,CON,WIS etc). Given how much it affects the whole experience of the player on the mud, it seems a really weird thing to be hidden from a player.

I know I can do this as a wiz or with code changes, but in stock tbamud - how does a player go about seeing their stats?

Thanks,

Kilpin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 May 2020 19:04 - 12 May 2020 20:46 #8699 by Papaya Pete
That is a matter of changing the do_score function in act.informative.c. I believe there is a sample that someone made that goes into a lot more detail in the downloads section. Check that one out and see what you like and don't like about it, change as you see fit.

Edit: if you are having trouble finding it, I don't mind sharing mine. I included some different classes and races, so it won't neatly compile into stock if you just copy and paste.
In general I don't mind helping with figuring out how to do things or even share snippets I have found or put in.
Last edit: 12 May 2020 20:46 by Papaya Pete.

More
12 May 2020 22:03 #8700 by Kilpin
Replied by Kilpin on topic Seeing Stats as a player
Thanks Papaya Pete. I had found the sample, I was just wanting to know if there was a way a player could get this information that I was missing.

Hiding stats from players seems like a weird default.

More
12 May 2020 23:51 - 12 May 2020 23:57 #8701 by Papaya Pete
I imagine it was to keep players from recreating characters until they get perfect stats. It autoassigns them on creation based on class, but if you want to take the time there is a snippet that changes it to a point buy system.
By default, however, yeah I don't remember a way for players to find out their stats easily. Might be some obscure way I don't recall.

Edit: some get weirder. One mud I played allowed players to point buy but his what the stats did exactly. Strength didn't change your damage at all, just how much "energy" you have each turn for determining number of attacks. And they purposely hid/didn't create high damage weapon types (great scimitars, great axes) nor did they allow builders to create "+x" weapons. One staffer lectured me when I made a +1 dagger, saying how OP it was. Very strange. I suppose each have their ideas on balance.
Last edit: 12 May 2020 23:57 by Papaya Pete.

More
13 May 2020 15:45 #8705 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Seeing Stats as a player
And another common addition is the ability for players to reroll, which should be in the patch section as well.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Papaya Pete

More
14 May 2020 01:01 #8708 by Papaya Pete
Oh I completely forgot about that! Good recalling, thanks!

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds