Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question spec-proc and mob assignment

More
23 Nov 2017 15:29 #7153 by Sascha
Is there a way to assign an existing spec-proc to a new mob without having to go into the code to do so? For example, if I would like to have a postman in every city and have it be a different mob every time, do I have to go into the code and assign the Postmaster spec-proc to every one? Seems somewhat bulky, if so. I've seen other mud code bases where you can assign the spec-proc while building or editing the mob.

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2017 21:57 #7155 by WhiskyTest
Code changes are required to assign spec_procs, and the assigning happens at boot time.

To dynamically add spec_procs would require coding additions.

To do this using triggers will also require coding changes.

Have a think about how and when the postie should change, will there be multiple posties, are they on the move or do they stand in one spot, do they stop being a postie at some point, ..

The end result might favour adding it as a new dg_trigger command.

Or - laterally thinking here - use one mob with a spec_proc assigned, but use transform triggers to give the appearance of a new mob?

More
24 Nov 2017 15:32 #7156 by Sascha
Replied by Sascha on topic spec-proc and mob assignment
That's what I thought, but I was hoping was that I was missing something somewhere. Ideally what I'd like to see is the ability for any Builder to assign a spec-proc to a mob from within the medit function. That way a coder doesn't have to go in and make physical changes.

One of the things we like to do is have our mobs not be generic. This adds a depth for roleplay and the storyline. The postmaster in one town may be a habitual gossip, for example, and may be a fountain of information for players. Another might be flirtatious, another could be actually quite a bad person, etc. and so forth. Guildmasters can be different, and so on, and so on.

dg_trigger and/or transformation... That may be the way to go in the future, when we have more builders than builders who can also code somewhat, or at least make changes to the code. I'll file this under suggestions for the next code release, though. :)

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

Time to create page: 0.486 seconds