Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Setting up multiple ports

More
18 Nov 2017 17:57 #7110 by Sascha
Why do I have a feeling Whiskey will answer this first... ;)

I'm getting ready to move the mud from my local test machines to a paid server, which offers me four ports. Great! The questions are:

1) Is there a benefit to me setting up to use more than one port?
2) If there is, would I change this line in autorun like this

# The port on which to access the MUD
PORT=4000
PORT=4001
PORT=4002
PORT=4003

or this

# The port on which to run the MUD
PORT=4000, 4001, 4002, 4003

or...?

The instructions as I read them seem to be a bit choppy so I wanted to ask here before diving in. I believe I need to make some additional changes as well, but I'm unsure where. Since they offer four ports and they are reserved to me once I do the first configuration on their server I'd like to have four in sequence if it's something advisable.

Thanks in advance!

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Nov 2017 21:17 #7111 by WhiskyTest
To answer your first question, perhaps its because we have similar time zones?..

1 ) I think tbaMUD can only use one port per instance of it running. Why would you have multple ports available? Probably so you could run more than one mud. Like a development server on a different port.
Eg: Your live tbaMUD listens on port 4000, while your testing server listens on 4001
You might have a TeamSpeak server hosted there on port 4003 or a webserver on 4004.

2.) To change port you use the cedit command->Operations->Default Port

When will you be open to public?
The following user(s) said Thank You: thomas

More
19 Nov 2017 14:50 #7116 by Sascha
Replied by Sascha on topic Setting up multiple ports
I was just teasing you. I appreciate what you've helped with the past few days and I considered just PMing you. :)

I couldn't think of any reason to have multiple ports other than to have a test mud running, but sometimes I miss the obvious so I thought asking before committing myself was prudent. Looks like my initial thought process was the right one.

I have some reconstruction to do - long story - but I hope to be open to the public by Christmas. I went through a closed beta, received tons of feedback, and I've been taking the past few months to revamp/make some functional changes.

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000
The following user(s) said Thank You: thomas

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds