Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Quests vs Quest Triggers

More
27 Jan 2017 15:24 #6544 by calvnnhobs
Hi all, first post and super newb, so please excuse any dumb questions! Also want to note that the tbaMUD codebase is amazing - thanks to all who made it happen.

I was touring the The Builder Academy zone, and the Trigedit zone has a number of quest examples. I also noticed (I think) that there's only one actual quest in the game, to kill a mouse in zone 1. I was wondering then if the old/existing questmaster code was sort of deprecated in favor of using triggers, or if they're both available, to be used as seen fit. A few more related questions:

* Does the traditional questmaster still need to be associated with the roll using ASSIGNMOB in spec_assign.c
* For trigger-based quests, is there a way for the quests to show in the history/progress?

I like both functionalities frankly - the old questmaster for the grizzled (cough stubborn) MUD vets, and the triggers for more innovative interaction. Just wanted to make sure the old questmaster system isn't getting phased out or is already deprecated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2017 23:32 - 27 Jan 2017 23:35 #6545 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Quests vs Quest Triggers
Both are available.

Quest Editor (qedit) requires a questmaster and allows for very simple and common quests like finding things, killing mobs etc. qlist 0 40000 actually shows 10 quests on TBA. But you are correct it is not as widely used as triggers. Trigedit is much more flexible and customizable. Both have their uses.

I have not used qedit much to be honest. But I believe the answer is no. questmaster does not have to be assigned as a special procedure. qedit can do everything by itself.
You can track trigger progress by assigning variables saved to player files. So you can track player progress through a trigger quest. HELP VARIABLE. specifically you'll need to "remote" a variable to the player file.

Welcome and thanks for the kind words.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
Last edit: 27 Jan 2017 23:35 by Rumble.
The following user(s) said Thank You: brmud

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.248 seconds