Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Etiquette question re TBAmud stock zones

More
17 Apr 2016 16:49 #5765 by Sascha
I've been reading so much and taking in so much information, please forgive me if this is covered somewhere in a documentation file.

Regarding the stock zones in the download - are we permitted to change them a bit and use them, provided that we still give credit to the original author? For example, if a room references a place not in the mud theme, is it okay to change that? If the zone would be perfect if some room connections were moved around, can we do that? I'm seeing some stock "forest" types of zones that would be great to use if I am allowed to tweak them a bit. I'm thinking of putting in an extra description in any such zone that would say "Original credit to (XXX) from TBAmud" so that a player could also see where it first came from.

Good? Bad?

Will you stand against the coming Storm? After the Breaking: STORMRIDERS MUD - atbmud.dune.net port 4000

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2016 21:25 #5766 by thomas
You are allowed to modify zones any way you wish.

Linking between zones is expected to be altered, and require no updates anywhere.

Of course, you can also change the text of the room descriptions, etc.
When doing so, you can append to existing credits (like extra description "credits" in room #13700 or #27800 or description rooms like #2700) adding "Zone changed 2016 by Sascha of WhatsYourMudCalled" or similar.

Most zones on TBA have either such a credit extra desc, or a description room (bar some of the old diku/circle-zones).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sascha

More
01 May 2016 21:14 #5815 by Parnassus
I'm really glad you asked that. I've seen so many muds that take a zone, make superficial changes and replace the builder's name with the name of the person who made the changes.

I personally don't usually add my name as a builder to zones that I've adjusted but I think I'm in the minority on that. I've got nothing against putting your name as an additional builder as long as you keep the original builders in there. I "grew up" with the memory of C.A.W. Right now, you can see this story here .

If you wanted to see how I marked the areas I've adjusted, look at rooms 28800 and 55500 (Galaxy and Ultima).
The following user(s) said Thank You: thomas

Time to create page: 0.246 seconds