Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Zedit maxload

More
14 Dec 2014 23:09 #5140 by Parnassus
Zedit maxload was created by Parnassus
I ran across a situation in a grid-zone today which brought up a question that had never occurred to me before.

According to help zedit-advanced:
Code:
Let us say you want there to be a single rose loaded in a garden. But, you want to have a max of 50 in the mud. You would simply go to the command options menu and tell the zone file to load an object into the room. However, the object will continue to load into the room, until it is maxed. To prevent 50 roses from loading into the room, simply hit N for new command. It will ask you where the command should be placed. Use the SAME number as the command which loads the rose. This will bump the command, which loads the rose down. Then you will be at a command options menu. Enter R for remove an object from a room. If no one comes along and gets the rose, the game will remove it and load another one. This will prevent build up.

Okay, these are very good instructions. I use this help a lot. Now comes the situation:
Often, people use items from different areas. I've changed some shops because if the mudowner uses the zone but not the zone that holds the object sold, errors come up because the item doesn't exist. I sometimes copy the object or remove it from the sales list. I haven't done many of the shops in the donated zones though so if you're seeing errors when the mud reboots, keep this problem in mind.

I noticed a problem with one reset and did a CHECKLOAD on the object. This tells me all the places where the object is zedited. This is the outcome:
checkload o 5027
Checking load info for the obj a glittering diamond...
[ 277] The Town Jeweler (Given to the jeweler [111][99 Max])
[ 5070] A Small Shaft (Put in another object [3 Max])
[24722] A Grave (Put in another object [2 Max])

From this you can see that the zone with the object (zone 50) intended for 3 diamonds max to be around at one time. (From help maxload: An object in a player's rent file does not count as in the game.)

How does the game handle this? There are 104 max of this object when only 3 were intended. If one player buys 5 from that jeweler and another player takes the one from the chest, what happens next? If this were a quest object, would the quest then be broken? How is it determined which zone gets the object? The zone with the lowest number? Will there actually be 99 max for the jeweler? Okay, this is more than one question.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Dec 2014 00:31 #5154 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Zedit maxload
You are correct and have it right. This is why you should not reuse objects from other zones. If you have a maxload of 1 and someone else has already loaded the object your zone may never load. Zones are loaded 1->655 with each zone command run in order. So zone 1 would load an object before zone 2, etc.

Checking load info for the obj a glittering diamond...
[ 277] The Town Jeweler (Given to the jeweler [111][99 Max])
[ 5070] A Small Shaft (Put in another object [3 Max])
[24722] A Grave (Put in another object [2 Max])

Zone 2 would load 1 object to the shopkeeper. This is pretty harmless, it is dependent "then give..." so it will only run when the mob is loaded.

Next zone 50 would run. again it is dependent and will only load when the container loads, also pretty harmless. But it may or may not load. This allows the possibility of a random load in the chest without using percentage loading (a common patch). If a player in the game has 2 diamonds (maxload of 3 in game) it will not load.

The final one is another dependent container load. With a max of 2... this one would only load if someone emptied the chest and then logged off the game between a zone reset of 247 before zone 50. You'd have to look at zone lifespans to see the likelihood. This would very rarely happen. Which is the point for this rare item I believe.

I hope that helps.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.200 seconds