Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Wonder

More
17 Sep 2014 06:05 #5053 by Liko
Wonder was created by Liko
I'm wondering about adding some more details to mobiles like hair color, hair styles, tails, and eye color. I've already added races, but do you think this would be to much? I'd have to make sure certain races could have certain hair styles and what not. If not bald, no hair color. It would add great debt to mobiles.

What do you guys think? Or is this over kill?

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2014 09:28 #5054 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Wonder
It depends how you plan to use them in the game.

If you were adding something for cosmetic effect then you can get away with the mob description + long/short descs filling in those details.

Things that will impact the game system like during combat or skill usage (eg: races) need to be added as a new field to the mob.

The tail could be a new wear slot, which would be cool - and this would have a function in the game beyond cosmetic.
If it is just for flavor and style then use the descriptions to paint the picture.

S'what I reckon anyway :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liko

More
18 Sep 2014 01:48 #5055 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Wonder
There is a balance you have to decide on. I'd weigh the pros and cons and remember someone has to enter all of that data. More detail isn't always a good thing, especially in the text world.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liko

More
18 Sep 2014 04:40 #5057 by Liko
Replied by Liko on topic Wonder

WhiskyTest wrote: It depends how you plan to use them in the game.

If you were adding something for cosmetic effect then you can get away with the mob description + long/short descs filling in those details.

Things that will impact the game system like during combat or skill usage (eg: races) need to be added as a new field to the mob.

The tail could be a new wear slot, which would be cool - and this would have a function in the game beyond cosmetic.
If it is just for flavor and style then use the descriptions to paint the picture.

S'what I reckon anyway :)

Agreed. Tails I am going to use as something special. There will be a skill called "Tail whip" and can only be used if the player has a tail. Players/enemies will be able to rip tails.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
19 Sep 2014 02:00 #5058 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Wonder
I was thinking about having a body part array for the player struct as a way to track location damage, crippled limbs and stuff.

Something like :
#define NUM_BODYPARTS 7

int bodypart[NUM_BODYPARTS][NUM_BODYPARTS]

then you can have the first number as the location, and the second the hitpoint value or -1 if it doesn't exist

just thinking out loud.. typing :)

Time to create page: 0.230 seconds