Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Getting started

More
16 Sep 2014 04:38 #5048 by Nethipholos
Getting started was created by Nethipholos
Hi everyone, i'm exremely new to MUD Administration. I've never coded a MUD before, however i've coded plenty of other project, mostly in perl, lua, and sql. However in all of my coding experience (all non-professional) i've never had to compile and then run my code before. I've ran it through checking systems to make sure it's not missing anything, or it's broken, but i've never compiled it into an EXE and ran it before.

Now enough with the rambling, i'm curious as to if anyone can assist me. I've been writting out a story, rooms, classes, races, etc for a text based game for several years now and i think it's about time i put everything i have in paper, to code. I've downloaded several other codebases however i cannnot seem to get any of them to run.

I opperate mainly off a windows 7 machine (cringe if you must) however i'm open to dual booting it, or even using a linux based VM (if possible) to code/compile/test/locally host my MUD. However, i'm clueless as to where i should start or what i'm looking for. Any input would be helpful.

Questions:
1. Is there a stable and customizable 64bit codebase that i can work with, or am i stuck compiling 32bit code?
2. how come everytime i compile codebase (i tend to do a clean compile first without making adjustment, just to see what it is i'm working with) it will never fully load, i've gotten close before with no error messages, however my prompt just shuts down?
3. to "run" a MUD can i just compile it, then run the .exe or does it have to be run in a nother fashion?
4. While it is running, is it possible to make adjustments to the code and test it in real time, or would i have to adjust, recompile, test, adjust, recompile, test, etc?

Again, sorry for being long winded, however this is the only forum for MUDs that i could find that's seen ANY sort of action in the past decade or so.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2014 22:32 #5049 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Getting started
1. No 64 bit MUD that I know of.
2-3. To run on Windows read through the /doc folder. Specifically, README.CYGWIN
4. You need to recompile and copyover

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
17 Sep 2014 00:30 #5050 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Getting started
I use Cygwin on Win7 to run the tbaMUD codebase, the link Rumble posted is really all you need to get the stock code running so you can log in and have a look around.

Be careful when downloading Cygwin that you select all the correct packages as listed in step 1. Missing these will cause most of the compile problems you will see.

More
18 Sep 2014 01:49 #5056 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Getting started
The cygwin readme may be getting a bit outdated. Let me know if you find any parts that no longer apply or need updating.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Time to create page: 0.318 seconds