Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Building/Coding Blunders

More
30 Apr 2014 05:04 #4885 by Papaya Pete
Well, here's a somewhat fun topic to discuss. What's your favorite blunder that you've made when building or coding?

I'll kick it off. I was building for a mud years ago and had a brilliant idea: slimes that split into smaller slimes. That doesn't seem so bad, except I had them split into 2 different slimes that were only 1 level lower. And the level started out at 15.

So, you'd have 1 lvl 15, 2 lvl 14, 4 lvl 13, 8 lvl 12, and so on. ... Yeah, that wasn't a good idea at all. The area was soon flooded with a ton of slimes that even would engulf some of the higher level players. One was rescued by an Imm who had to intervene and run a purge. Shortly after that, the triggers and levels for the smaller slimes were fixed, and things were back to the way they were.

I do remember the screams of panic on the OOC channel. Hee hee!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jun 2014 22:09 #4932 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic Building/Coding Blunders
This is a harmless, petty sort of thing but I wanted Valen Park petting zoo to be very noisy and dynamic so all the mobs in there have multiple socials and messages. When I originally wrote the zone for Smaug, I was shocked to see calves wandering around trying to beg money from players. I had somehow set them up to mooch rather than moo like a cow.

I kind of like that slime thing if it had been set to maybe halve the level rather than minus 1. That would give you 2xL7, 4xL3, 8xL1 which probably wouldn't be too bad, depending on how often the splits happened.

I've mentioned the 100 loop limit in another thread and I really like it (except in that one instance) because otherwise, i think the loop overflows have been known to kick builders out and even crash muds.

More
25 Aug 2014 00:47 #5005 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Building/Coding Blunders
Once upon a time (today) I had been running my MUD through valgrind memory test to check for leaks an so on. After using shutdown die I was ready to restart the MUD for more playing/building. I have my virtual machine set to autorun the MUD on startup so I went into the console and hit restart. Only I didn't hit restart, I hit reset.
This reverted the VM to the base install of CentOS minus all the code, world files and playerfiles....

More
25 Aug 2014 00:52 #5006 by Parnassus
Replied by Parnassus on topic Building/Coding Blunders
That sounds very...uncomfortable. I hope that you have everything backed up.

More
25 Aug 2014 04:35 #5007 by WhiskyTest
Replied by WhiskyTest on topic Building/Coding Blunders
Most things! It's a good opportunity to re-code my work in a more non-leaky way :D
Lesson learnt - reset and reboot are very different things!

Time to create page: 0.509 seconds