Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Tba's Armor System, Hitting, hitroll, and DamRoll.

More
12 Apr 2014 23:06 #4832 by Liko
Hello,

I am wondering how exactly AC works? Also how does the player exactly hit the mob or player? What does hitroll effect? What does damroll effect?

Sincerely,

Liko

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2014 23:43 #4833 by Rumble
TBA really hasn't changed from the player's perspective since CircleMUD. Check out the help files for starters and then look in fight.c it has a lot of good comments.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

More
13 Apr 2014 05:52 #4834 by Papaya Pete
Hmmm, I thought it was essentially like 2nd Edition DnD. That's what I thought when I looked at it. Saving throws are handled a little differently though... 1-100 scale instead of 1-20.

More
13 Apr 2014 17:02 #4837 by Liko

Papaya Pete wrote: Hmmm, I thought it was essentially like 2nd Edition DnD. That's what I thought when I looked at it. Saving throws are handled a little differently though... 1-100 scale instead of 1-20.

That is the thing I've never played DnD that is why it has always confused me.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

More
13 Apr 2014 23:36 #4838 by Papaya Pete
Oh I got ya. Hmm trying to remember...

Every character has a number called Thac0 (to hit armor class zero). AC (armor class) is a scale from 10 (worst) to -10. The target's AC is subtracted from the attacker's Thac0, plus or minus any bonuses to hit. The attacker then rolls 1d20, and if that number is equal to or greater than that target number he hit. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Example:
Dugg the warrior has a Thac0 of 15, and is attacking a creature with an AC of 5. 15 - 5 is 10. To hit the creature, Dugg will have to roll a 10 or higher.

Another example:
Dugg runs into a dragon later on, and tries to hit it with his sword. It has an AC of -5. 15 - (-5) is 20, which means Dugg has a 1 in 20 chance to hit. Yeah, Dugg is in serious trouble.

Anyways, hope that helps. The higher level the character, the lower the Thac0 goes (forgot to mention that).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Liko

More
14 Apr 2014 16:38 #4841 by Liko

Papaya Pete wrote: Oh I got ya. Hmm trying to remember...

Every character has a number called Thac0 (to hit armor class zero). AC (armor class) is a scale from 10 (worst) to -10. The target's AC is subtracted from the attacker's Thac0, plus or minus any bonuses to hit. The attacker then rolls 1d20, and if that number is equal to or greater than that target number he hit. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

Example:
Dugg the warrior has a Thac0 of 15, and is attacking a creature with an AC of 5. 15 - 5 is 10. To hit the creature, Dugg will have to roll a 10 or higher.

Another example:
Dugg runs into a dragon later on, and tries to hit it with his sword. It has an AC of -5. 15 - (-5) is 20, which means Dugg has a 1 in 20 chance to hit. Yeah, Dugg is in serious trouble.

Anyways, hope that helps. The higher level the character, the lower the Thac0 goes (forgot to mention that).

See. I think I'll rewrite the Armor/Hitting system in general.

Randian(0.0.0)
Owner/Developer

Time to create page: 0.349 seconds