Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Error messages on the build port

More
06 Apr 2014 19:45 #4812 by Parnassus
I've been on the building port, working away on one of my zones, when I was hit with a bunch of error messages. Now, this isn't exactly unusual except that they were from one of my areas. Again, this isn't exactly unusual either except that these were triggers that I haven't touched in weeks and they hadn't been giving error messages before. Also, this particular message seemed a bit odd because I can't see what the problem is:
[ Trigger: Zoo, Day, Movement Out, VNum 56013, type: 2. unknown room field: 'is_pc' ]

So, while I was busily removing all the is_pc lines from the triggers, I was hit by other trigger errors, one from one of Detta's zones. Since this is a GRID zone, there's no reason why anyone would make changes to the triggers.

It's my understanding that when zones have no players, they sort of go to sleep and nothing happens except for global randoms. Greet triggers have apparently been going off all over the place. Of course, I can only see the ones that throw off error messages. But what are they greeting if the mobs aren't moving? One mob seems to have killed at least 62 other mobs that have innocently walked into his room.

Rumble did a copyover a couple of days ago, I think it was, but I was on after that and haven't seen a problem until today.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Apr 2014 03:03 #4880 by Parnassus
I'm sure there's a lesson for me in here somewhere but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

When I see my zones are tossing error messages, I try to get rid of them. Since the game didn't seem to recognize is_pc, I deleted them from the triggers that were getting the errors, even though I couldn't understand why they were suddenly errors. After Rumble rebooted the mud, all the messages stopped. However, by that time, I'd "fixed" the triggers.

Now, of course, those triggers don't work anymore :( So now I have to figure out which ones they were and fix them back.

Any suggestions as to the moral of this story?

More
29 Apr 2014 14:23 #4881 by krell

Parnassus wrote: Any suggestions as to the moral of this story?

On development builds things will occasionally break at random as developers make changes and, hopefully, improvements in the codebase?

Alternatively, perhaps it's a bug that only shows up after the mud has had a certain amount of uptime?

I'm sure that there are other possibilities though I can't think of them at the moment....

More
30 Apr 2014 00:15 #4883 by Parnassus
Sounds good to me, thanks :)

More
25 Jun 2014 01:59 #4933 by Parnassus
Okay, this has started up again:
[ Trigger: Zoo, Day, Movement Out, VNum 56013, type: 2. unknown room field: 'is_pc' ]

This time, I'm just gonna let the error messages play because I'm not changing is_pc this time! Sorry to anyone who is trying to work through the spam. Is there any suggestion to stop the error spam other than "fixing" the errors?

Also, don't zones sleep when nobody is in them? Why are the mobs throwing movement errors if they're sleeping? And the last time it happened, it also happened in one of Detta's areas which was also empty. If the zones don't sleep, why aren't other zones throwing the same messages? It's hard to believe that I'm the only builder who uses is_pc and that Detta's zones have been stripped of is_pc.

Also, in relationship to this question, there's an unfinished zone with an aggro, sentinel mob. The room is always filled with junk because mobs walk into the room and get whacked by the sentinel mob, the corpses rot and fill the room with junk. Why don't I see this more often if it's normal behaviour? If it's not normal, why is it happening?

The line in question is:
if %actor.is_pc%
I only mention this because I've seen similar messages lately caused by lines like
if %actor.is_pc
with no ending %.

Logging out now because the error messages are driving me nuts.

More
25 Jun 2014 16:19 #4934 by thomas
Have you tried a reboot?

Time to create page: 0.703 seconds