Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Rent deaths - Crash kills rent file

More
08 Mar 2014 01:59 #4741 by cunning
I rarely like to post when I am having issues. I solve them then post a fix. I am really frustrated with this one. Any crash I have, the player loses their rent file. I have tried everything I can think off, there is nothing in the logs, nothing in the GDB output. Looking for some insight here, suggestions so I can try some outside the box repairs.

Cunning

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Mar 2014 19:03 #4743 by thomas
Have you tried adding some logging in the rent file handling? The file shouldn't disappear...

More
09 Mar 2014 19:54 #4744 by cunning
I have no issues with normal rent, so I am not sure your suggestion of logging a crash will do me any good. I have rent files at all times, whom ever is logged in at the time of the crash loses their rent files. Aka a crash death...

More
09 Mar 2014 20:51 #4745 by cunning
Fixed....

More
10 Mar 2014 18:16 #4746 by thomas
anything we need to do to the codebase to fix similar issues? (ie. what was the problem and what did you do?)

More
11 Mar 2014 02:50 #4747 by cunning
We do stats update of gold, classes, remorts, and quite a few other things. The game does a load of every character. The problem was I was using extract_char_final() which in my case called Crash_delete_crashfile. I have a few very specific features which alters extract_char_final().

My problem was that when the stats() updater ran, it was calling extract_char_final() which inadvertently ran Crash_delete_crashfile. Wiping out all crash rent files. I could not see it in the logging because by the time the game booted the rent files were gone. Hence in that 2-3 seconds of reboot, when I would go over to the plrobjs/ files the game had already rebooted thus wiping those files.

A very stupid mistake on my part, but your suggestion did make me think outside the box. If all else is right, then the least likely thing could be the cause. It smelled like Crash_delete_crashfile, and acted like it. I just had to prove it, and I finally did when I ran the game in GDB mode.

Time to create page: 0.215 seconds