Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Temporary Suspension of Registration

More
03 Feb 2014 14:32 #4680 by Rumble
I've tried 3 different versions of captcha. I know Parna has tried also. The spammers have more resources than we do. I keep hoping Joomla/Kunena will fix it with an update since most of our CMS/forum is stock. But I think the spammers just keep one step ahead no matter what they do. R-antispam was the closest I came to a fix, again it was only temporary. I finally gave up after wasting days trying to fix it and now Parna is going through the same nightmare. Thanks Parna :-)

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Feb 2014 01:41 #4682 by Parnassus
In general, its not a big deal. However, I think somewhere (maybe a few somewheres) had time off for Christmas and New Years and made some extra spam money. When you consider the number of guests we usually have (0-5 legitimate guests at one time), seeing 300-800 shows there's something up. Now that it's February, things seem to have slowed down a bit.

Really, in a time like that, the only choices are to turn off registration or to insist that any new registers do what RussBrown did and post a small introduction, just so that we can see that you're a real person. However, in my time checking new posts, I've seen three introductory posts, two that were exactly the same and one that followed up with a spam post. I'd really hate to wade through 100 of those at a time but it would be a better indication.

However, I'm sure that any new registers will be happy if we don't do this. Out of about 160 registered people, less than half have ever posted anything. Out of the others, probably one-third to one-half are real people who have signed up at some time or another to get information. The rest are most likely spammers who just haven't bothered to spam.

More
04 Feb 2014 02:34 #4683 by krell
Would it possible to automatically link forum registration with signing up for a PC on the mud? Perhaps this would introduce more problems then it would solve though and I imagine there'd have to be some alterations to the coldbase to make such a scheme work with the additional complexity it would introduce.

That said, I truly appreciate Parna's hard work on this matter and keeping the forum so clear of spam.

More
05 Feb 2014 00:04 #4684 by Parnassus
Generally speaking, its not a big deal. The anti-spam programs are amazing! I just wish I understood them better. I'm sure that if this were a larger forum, I wouldn't be able to keep up.

Time to create page: 0.211 seconds