Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question Bulding a MUD...?

More
21 Feb 2013 11:52 #1538 by lilecus
Bulding a MUD...? was created by lilecus
Hello there, as you might have already noticed i'm new on the forum.

First of all i would like to say: SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH...

Secondly i would like to ask you a few things that has crossed my mind for a few days...

As a web designer/coder, part codemonkey and retro-gaming nerd i encountered in my neer-ending net researchs with MUD's...

First i was like... whats that? (yes i might be too young to have played them sadly) Then i was like... WOW that remind me alot to a singleplayer game that i used to play as a kid when i didn't even had internet!

So after testing some MUD's for a few days and as crazy as i am, i decided to give it a try and create my own one, so this website passed by as the best MUD creator. Sadly, even if i know how to code (sort of...) I am kind of confused on how to create my own MUD server, and if you readed this far maybe you'll be so kind to give me a hand.

I just don't want to create one to "pass the time" and then leave it dead or just deleate it.

I would like to know if this project (TBAMUD) would allow me to host my own server, create my own site to "promo the game" (cause that's what i'm best at... website coding) and all that. Obvisouly i would give credit etc.

Also i would like to know if anyone would be interested into helping me out and if you have reached this paragraph, thanks for reading.

-Lilecus

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Feb 2013 20:08 #1544 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Bulding a MUD...?
Yes, that's basically what tbamud's about. Download, build and host your own server. What you do to promote it is up to you.

More
24 Feb 2013 13:55 - 24 Feb 2013 13:55 #1556 by lilecus
Replied by lilecus on topic Bulding a MUD...?
Well i would give plenty of promoting if i get this thing working, first of all, i haven't found a tutorial to start with :(.

And if its all about running the vms_autorun.com it says that the version is not compatible under win7
Last edit: 24 Feb 2013 13:55 by lilecus.

More
24 Feb 2013 16:00 - 24 Feb 2013 16:02 #1557 by thomas
Replied by thomas on topic Bulding a MUD...?
First off - check the documentation here: tbamud.com/websvn/filedetails.php?repnam...=%2Fdoc%2FREADME.WIN

This file is also included in the documentation, along with the files it references. Each of those explains how to build the code on different versions of Visual C++ or for example Cygwin.

Vms_autorun.com isn't an executable. It is, as you'd have seen had you opened it and read it, a small script file made to run the executable as a detached process (on older versions of windows, I think).
Please read the files in the doc/ directory. They'll enlighten you about what you need and how you need to do it to make it run.
Last edit: 24 Feb 2013 16:02 by thomas.

More
24 Feb 2013 17:54 #1558 by lilecus
Ok thanks alot! I kinda feel very dumb when i put my hands into something new...

More
24 Feb 2013 18:03 #1559 by lilecus
Unix Shell file details is simply awesome i must say, you guys did an awesome work, once again bye bye windows.

I wonder how good a raspberry pi could manage a MUD.

Time to create page: 0.315 seconds