Welcome to the Builder Academy

Question CircleMUD legacy code

More
21 Jun 2012 17:36 #141 by Ruinu
CircleMUD legacy code was created by Ruinu
I am currently weighing the options between using tbaMUD and building a server from scratch. The mud I am envisioning has some structural differences with tbaMUD, but there are a lot of features in tbaMUD that I would like to incorporate in my mud. The license that is currently applied to the original diku/circle mud code is something that I would like to avoid if possible.

Now the question: I see that many files of tbaMUD were not part of the original CircleMud legacy code and it is explicitly described as such. Do I have permission to use portions of these files, with credits due to the creators of each file, or does the whole tbaMUD as a complete product fall under the diku/circle mud license?

If I have offended anyone by asking this, I apologize. I only want some clarity so I can make an informed decision.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Jun 2012 17:57 - 21 Jun 2012 17:58 #144 by Rumble
Replied by Rumble on topic Re: CircleMUD legacy code
Several years ago we were talking with Jeremy Elson (CircleMUD creator) about removing the license restrictions. He was all for it. But, the problem is so many people have contributed to the code there is no way to get permission to remove the licensing from everyone, including the original DIKU team.

So long story short. The original intent of the license was to prevent people from making money off University hardware. Things have changed, the original intent no longer applies and no one is going to enforce the licensing.

Everything I have contributed I consider public domain, as do the majority of contributors.
Do what you want with it. Just understand you do so at your own risk.

Rumble
The Builder Academy
tbamud.com 9091
rumble@tbamud.com
Last edit: 21 Jun 2012 17:58 by Rumble.

More
21 Jun 2012 18:23 #151 by Halenbane
Replied by Halenbane on topic Re: CircleMUD legacy code
I feel as long as you post the appropriate credits within your MUD you will be fine. I honestly don't think anyone these days is going to take action against someone unless that person was violating the original intent of the license, which was making money from it. The chances anyone is going to make money from their mud, especially now, slim to none.

As with anything else - At your own risk (I drive my car to work "at my own risk")

Time to create page: 0.177 seconds